Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Highlander Mountain Marathon

Smile Highlander Mountain Marathon

Hello

I am one of the organisers of the HMM we are looking to get some more teams entered this year to make the event sustainable. Has anyone taken part in the event?

Henry
    Run the Highlander Mountain Marathon www.highlandermountainmarathon.co.uk

Re: Highlander Mounatin Marath

Have entered this years event for the first time and we are looking forward to some challenging courses in some real wild terrrain.

Time of year will be a challenge given that it could still be cold. That said, I know I can take comfort from the fact that the organisers will have some sort of tent / shelter for us to 'dry out' / 'warm up' after day 1 before devouring their offerings of an evening meal. After that we'll pitch our tent and cook some more food, and some more food, to give us the sustenance required for the 2nd day.

After a (hopefully) good nights sleep we'll be running lighter and faster on day 2 over some more wild terrain to the finish.

Anyone who has done the OMM, LAMM or RAB should be doing this one. OK it's a fair way to drive (2 hours from Inverness ~ I'm hoping it's South!!) but I'm sure it will be a challenging and enjoyable (!!) event.

The more, the merrier
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    OK it's a fair way to drive (2 hours from Inverness ~ I'm hoping it's South!!) but I'm sure it will be a challenging and enjoyable (!!) event.

The more, the merrier
    ..and that's probably why I won't be there, Might look at a last minute entry if it is south but Ullapool however nice is just too far. I'd have to drive through the night to get there

Quote Originally Posted by highlanderMM View Post
    Hello

I am one of the organisers of the HMM we are looking to get some more teams entered this year to make the event sustainable. Has anyone taken part in the event?

Henry
    I did last year's event in Torridon (in hard weather conditions) and have already entered this year's event.
    I would recommend it as a great mountain marathon.
    Yiannis

Henry, superb event last year, weather a superb additional challenge. Have entered again, hope you get enough teams, but not too many!
    Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    ..and that's probably why I won't be there, Might look at a last minute entry if it is south but Ullapool however nice is just too far. I'd have to drive through the night to get there
    If I can make it from Southampton..............there are some good deals on flights to be had - adds to the fun.

It'll be my first HMM - looking forward to it - hope there is pudding!

Best MM in my mind (just ahead of the LAMM on a number of counts). 2007 was memorable for it's beautiful weather, few paths and interesting route choices. Last year for it's somewhat bracing weather, stunning location and great last-minute, stand-in partner- Thanks again Henry.

Great to have a marquee at the midcamp with good ale and dancing (if somewhat stiff-legged).

Looking forward to april, flights from Manchester were dead cheap and I'll be able to be back in work monday despite overnighting in Inverness on my birthday.

Hope to see a few of you up there.
    First run then beer. If no run then proceed directly to beer.

Smile Highlander

Thank you for the support for the event.

The area this year is one of my favorite for running myself and training. I am really hoping for weather like the first year as well.

It is again in an area that is often overlooked by people coming up north.

The Bar and ceilidh band are also booked up for the Saturday night where you will be guaranteed at least a few warm hours and a good feed! Please spread the word about this event if you like it!

Or if you have any ideas as to why you wouldn't enter please drop me a wee note here all feedback will only help make the event more suitable for everyone.

Also keep your eyes on this thread for some further announcements about the event from planners and controller!

Cheers

Henry

Master

Re: Highlander

The only reason I'm not doing it is because we're in the Highlands the weekend before (Easter) and it's too far to go 2 weekends running. And I'm not a teacher, so don't have enough holiday to stay up in between

If it were further away from Easter then I'd definitely give it a go.

We are in a bit of a tough position with the Highlander in the Calendar. We obviously do not want to move the event to far forward to take anything away from the LAMM and do not want to have it to early as to "hopefully avoid the worst of the weather".

This year we moved the event back a week as the weather was bitter last year and we considered this to be a potential reason people where not keen to enter.

But looking at entries this year it seems to have made little difference.

Sorry you cannot make it along this year. Have fun in the Highlands the weekend before!

Henry