Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PF The return

Feet in the Cowclaps

Re: PF The return

Commiserations APE.

I'd definitely have a think about the footwear you're wearing when running. I got some Mizuno Wave Harriers recently, and after a couple of runs my PF was coming back. I swapped them for the Mizuno Wave Ascends (I have a bit of a Mizuno fetish at the moment) and it's been behaving since then.

When I'm recovering from injuries (frequently), my doctor has me follow the following schedule to get back into running.

Day 1 : alternate run 45 seconds, walk 15 seconds for 5 minutes
    Day 2 : run 45 seconds, walk 15 seconds for 10 minutes
    Day 3 : run 45 seconds, walk 15 seconds for 15 minutes.
    Day 4 : run 45 seconds, walk 15 seconds for 20 minutes.
    Day 5 : run 45 seconds, walk 15 seconds for 25 minutes.
    Day 6 : run 45 seconds, walk 15 seconds for 30 minutes.
    Day 7 : run 45 seconds, walk 15 seconds for 35 minutes.
    Day 8 : run 45 seconds, walk 15 seconds for 40 minutes.
    Day 9 : run 45 seconds, walk 15 seconds for 40 minutes, including 5 minutes non-stop running halfway through.
    Day 10 : run 45 seconds, walk 15 seconds for 40 minutes, including 10 minutes non-stop running halfway through.
    Day 11 : run 45 seconds, walk 15 seconds for 40 minutes, including 15 minutes non-stop running halfway through.
    etc etc until you get to 40 minutes non-stop running.

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.E Knott View Post
    More or less cushioning ?
    Some go down the stiffer sole route some go down the cushioning route.
    More cushioning worked for me, at least at the early return-to-running stage.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Feet in the Cowclaps

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    More cushioning worked for me, at least at the early return-to-running stage.
    Agreed T-face.
    I also got some spongy heel inserts for a quid off a stall on Skipton market (a walkaround stall near Next where they seem to sell everything), and they helped with the first few runs. Unfortunately they soon got shedded to bits by a neighbour's dog when I foolishly left my running shoes outside the front door of the holiday cottage we were staying in in Normandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Feet in the Cowclaps View Post
    I got some Mizuno Wave Harriers recently, and after a couple of runs my PF was coming back.
    Interesting, FITC. I developed my PF last year after several long runs in Wave Harriers. To be fair, I think a not-properly recovered ankle made me susceptible to foot injury so I can't simply blame the shoes (and I do like WHs!)
    I still feel 'niggles' sometimes after wearing the Harriers. However, again it's hard to be sure if they're a cause, because I tend to wear them for long mixed terrain runs which feature some hard surfaces, and it could be that it's this kind of running (rather than the type of shoe) that puts extra strain on the foot. I'll have a look at the Ascends, though.

APE: as so often, there are probably several inter-relating factors with your PF and the trick is to break the cycle by dealing with them in the right order. That's only marginally helpful, I realise, since it's hard to know what the factors are and which order is right.

Just a thought: it's worth reading PhysioIan's postings from about p10 of the thread on PF that ran through 2007/8. I know you posted on that thread at one point, but if you didn't follow it to its end, it merits a view.

I think to sum how i feel about this injury is when i limped my way back home and told Emma what had happened after 10 or so mins she said to me ,"its ok you can cry if you want to" !
    Dont get me wrong ,we all have to put things into perspective ,and i know there would be millions of people wish a bad foot was there only problem but it does P**s you off,