Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to begin???

Talking Where to begin???

Hi Peeps!

I'm now to this whole running malarkey having only started about 4 months ago from an embarassingly low fitness level. But, on the up side, I've long been a huge fan of the mountains and figured this fell running thing would be the perfect blend of the two.

Trick is, I live in London and wondered if anyone can impart any tips and tricks for training on pavement that will mean I'm up for some fell practice before too long?

Have entered Coniston Puma Trail run in October as a first goal so anything that will help me get round that one would be tops!

Em

Re: Where to begin???

depends where you live, if its all flat then you might have to jump in your car, or a visit to the gym to build your legs up. if you can find one hill near you then do hill reps, take it at your own pace if your just startin out and make sure you have the right trainers for your feet. good luck hope to see you on the fells soon.
    your shoes get so hot you wish your dam feet were fire proof

You sound in pretty much the same position as me. I started jogging six months ago in prepation for a 3km cross country race, and then my dad introduced me to fells. I find working it up slowly on any uphill you can find works. I live in Scotland so there's hills everywhere, but I dont drive so I cant get to most of them, so I just started repeating the same route with the only bit of uphill I could find on, as I'm too young to join the gym. I found anything was good and increased fitness, so dont try to do too much at stick at it!

Feet in the Cowclaps

Emma,

There's a bit of information in this thread.

All the best with your running.

Feet in the Cowclaps

Brilliant - there's some great stuff in these strings. Delighted to see I'm not the only one who's both geographically and physically challenged. I love the South and North Downs so I reckon I'll hit those before long - once my usual distance is at a more respectable level. I'm still struggling to get over about 10-11 miles a week at the mo

Have patience young Emma- it will come. When you get to a certain level of fitness and can run comfortably for 45mins-1hour, try heading to the Downs. You may even see myself or a couple of forum members on there. Great race to start you off with. My advice is just get out of london as much as possible and in to the countryside (oh and get a decent pair of off-road shoes). Good luck.

Cool beans. I've bought me a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D XCR which have performed beautifully when I have managed to take them cross country. I'm still trying to get them proper muddy though so I at least don't look like a total novice

Love the South Downs! Particularly Harting Down so I'll be out there before long do doubt. Spent the weekend camping in East Dean so got in a wee bit of country trail - loved it!

Getting all excited about the good weather now.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaO View Post
    I'm still trying to get them proper muddy though so I at least don't look like a total novice
    yes thats the important bit - get your shoes muddy so you feel proper

hi emma, you mentioned east dean and the south downs - i live in eastbourne (just a few miles from east den) so if you're thinking of heading that way again email me and i can share some insider knowledge on routes etc, or perhaps round up a few people for a run. good luck with the hill training!