Thread: What I'll Do This Summer?

What I'll Do This Summer?

Well, in prep for Yorkshireman in Sep, I think I have a tentative training plan. I'd like to get your comments on it.

- Maintain a 40-50 mile/week base incl 1 long, longest being 22 toward the end of August.
    - Run regular hill repeats of big old bunkers on the RAF base I work at (Molesworth)
    - Saturday May 23rd: run/walk/crawl up Skiddaw
    - Saturday June 6th: run/up Mt. Vesuvius, when in Naples
    - Sunday June 14th: Knowl Hill Race
    - Weekend of 25-26 July: Something 15-18 miles in the Peaks (suggestions?)
    - Weekend of 8-9 August: Something 18-20 miles in the Lakes or Yorkshire (")

Or something like that. Living in Northants, 'tis a pain to find the hills. Any thoughts?

Oh, btw, I've been put off by the ER ratings on some of the races I've looked at. Should I be? What does ER mean to you?

Cheers.
    Run. Sweat. See. Live.

Re: What I'll Do This Summer?

Experience Required?
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Yup; thanks Grouse. It is Experience Required. I figured that out from the code listing on the race page. I was wondering what that means, though.

Is it rated ER due to exceptionally tough terrain, climb grade, challenging route-finding, fierce beasts? How does it differ from Local Knowledge Required (LK). Just that I'm trying to find some suitable races while I pick my way through this new language....

Cheers.
    Run. Sweat. See. Live.

Depends I suppose. Some races ask that you submit details of past experience and some races actively check those details. There've been a few threads on it if you dig around but use common sense and phone the organiser if you are not sure. Might be worth asking on here about details of specific races and people will give you a good idea.
    Last edited by Grouse; 30-04-2009 at 11:14 AM.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyCodpiece View Post
    Yup; thanks Grouse. It is Experience Required. I figured that out from the code listing on the race page. I was wondering what that means, though.

Is it rated ER due to exceptionally tough terrain, climb grade, challenging route-finding, fierce beasts? How does it differ from Local Knowledge Required (LK). Just that I'm trying to find some suitable races while I pick my way through this new language....

Cheers.
    I think LK means local knowledge will be an advantage - not that it's required.

I take experience required as ability to navigate from a map in bad weather and general mountain sense, and also some experience of having run on very rough and steep terrain. How the organisers try to gauge entrants' level of experience is another matter - they may require for instance that you have run at least two ALs; or it may just be a tactic to discourage fairweather applications from popular races.

I think if you've done a lot of high-level and long-distance fellwalking for instance, especially in winter, that should provide a lot of the experience required for ALs - whether it ticks the race organiser's boxes though is a different matter.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 30-04-2009 at 10:12 PM.