Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UTMB/CCC medical certificates

UTMB/CCC medical certificates

Has anyone had trouble getting their GP to sign one of these? Mine has just said that she won't do them anymore and that I'd have to go to a private GP for one.

Surely some NHS GPs will do this??

Re: UTMB/CCC medical certifica

Quote Originally Posted by alicia_h View Post
    Has anyone had trouble getting their GP to sign one of these? Mine has just said that she won't do them anymore and that I'd have to go to a private GP for one.

Surely some NHS GPs will do this??
    yes they do but they charge. fortunately my GP gave me discounted terms but the full price was £100 as they have to do a medical and book you in for a double appointment. i can see it from their point of view despite the pain of the cost. Its time which isn't related to helping people overcome illness and should therefore be charged for on a private basis. the real issue is the race organisers insisting on this, or rather their insurers.

Bobert

My NHS GP charged in the region of £20 about 2 years ago for a medical certificate, for a race in Chamonix. I believe having your England Athletics card is sufficient to satisfy entry for continental races. Though i can't be certain for the UTMB. Might be worth checking this first.

no you need the certificate for the UTMB. the trouble with the UTMB document that the GP has to sign is that it stipulates that the GP has examined you, so they have to do a medical exam which is what costs the money.

Bobert

Quote Originally Posted by Full Moon Addict View Post
    no you need the certificate for the UTMB. the trouble with the UTMB document that the GP has to sign is that it stipulates that the GP has examined you, so they have to do a medical exam which is what costs the money.
    Fair enough. Apologies for teaching to suck eggs.

It's the French way. Medical matters take top priority - getting forms signed, having sick time off work, professional/self treatment. You only have to look at the number of pharmacies over there. There's a flashing green cross on every street corner. A doctor's certificate is needed to breathe, near enough. Medical form signing must be big industry. It's a form-pusher's heaven.

Does anyone know if there is any way of knowing if they have received the doctor's consent? I sent mine off many weeks ago but have no idea if it arrived.

Feet in the Cowclaps

Quote Originally Posted by Full Moon Addict View Post
    yes they do but they charge.
    Some charge, some don't. It depends on your GP.

Feet in the Cowclaps

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    It's the French way. Medical matters take top priority - getting forms signed, having sick time off work, professional/self treatment. You only have to look at the number of pharmacies over there. There's a flashing green cross on every street corner. A doctor's certificate is needed to breathe, near enough. Medical form signing must be big industry. It's a form-pusher's heaven.
    Lots of unfortunate stereotypes in here as well, but medical form-signing is not "big industry". I get my annual certificate for running races here when I go in for something else. The doctor doesn't charge you for the medical certificate as well. It costs €22 for a consultation, €15 of which is refunded by the state and the other €7 you get back if you have private medical insurance.

Rather than pay £100 to a British GP, it would probably be cheaper to jump on an Easyjet flight to Paris, get an appointment with a GP of your own choice and get the certificate. In fact with E111 or whatever it's now called, if you can think up some ailment that you'd need something prescribing for while you're there, you'd probably have nothing to pay.

I wrote my own last year for a race in Italy. Signed it Dr Findlay.

Feet in the Cowclaps

Quote Originally Posted by CribGoch View Post
    I wrote my own last year for a race in Italy. Signed it Dr Findlay.
    I like that.