Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help in beating Dad

Help in beating Dad

Ok, here's the general gist.

I'm 15 years olds and have been running fells for about half a year.
    My Dad is 46 years old and has been running fells for over twenty.

On Wednesday nights we train together over distances of about 8 to 10 miles. Being naturally competative and possesing healty amounts of pig-headed stubornness, I set myself the challenge of beating him. I currently train about 60-70 miles a week, mostly just normal hill sessions, but with one session of hill reps and one of interval training. He only trains three times a week, but does longer sessions.

I can generally compete with him on the flats and pull ahead on the climbs, but he destroys me on the downhill sections. I just can't seem to go that fast, he just utterly motors and always finds the best line down a fell, even if we've never done it before. I've heard all the "brakes off brain off" theories for descending and it'd not a fear thing, I just can't get the speed without going into a horrible flapping feet style of running that quickly gets me knackered.

Is it a style thing? Is there an area of training I've missed out on? Is it a kit issue?

Please, this is an appeal to all you seasoned veterans out there, how can i improve my descending, what am i doing wrong?
    New, young and ignorant.

Caught in the struggle of boy vs father.

Re: Help in beating Dad

Sorry I can't really help you on how to beat your dad - I am crap at running

However I do know how you feel - my dad is 62 tomorrow and he runs far better than me! Git!

Quote Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
    Ok, here's the general gist.

I'm 15 years olds and have been running fells for about half a year.
    My Dad is 46 years old and has been running fells for over twenty.

On Wednesday nights we train together over distances of about 8 to 10 miles. Being naturally competative and possesing healty amounts of pig-headed stubornness, I set myself the challenge of beating him. I currently train about 60-70 miles a week, mostly just normal hill sessions, but with one session of hill reps and one of interval training. He only trains three times a week, but does longer sessions.

I can generally compete with him on the flats and pull ahead on the climbs, but he destroys me on the downhill sections. I just can't seem to go that fast, he just utterly motors and always finds the best line down a fell, even if we've never done it before. I've heard all the "brakes off brain off" theories for descending and it'd not a fear thing, I just can't get the speed without going into a horrible flapping feet style of running that quickly gets me knackered.

Is it a style thing? Is there an area of training I've missed out on? Is it a kit issue?

Please, this is an appeal to all you seasoned veterans out there, how can i improve my descending, what am i doing wrong?
    No point asking me either - I just sprint then fall down the hills - it's been witnessed there's no denying it

i used to be pants at descending too, much improved now but still not great - experience helps. Not flat out descending but plenty of running in the hills gives you the confidence without thinking to know where to put your feet.
    basic speed/strength training seemed to help me. chair squats and lunges and speed sessions.
    in the short term try to run short strides with knees always slightly bent and that'll allow you to gather momentum fast.

Cheers, basically I'll just get out there and do it more! I suppose he does have 20 years of practice behing him. So, speed stuff, strength stuff and practice, ta. Well, that or I sabotage his fell shoes......

Any more suggestions welcome.
    New, young and ignorant.

david

Getting some decent shoes that aren't 2 sizes too big might help. Get your dad to buy you some.

undercover moderator

Wait for him to get old?

Although 46 is actually quite old already.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Although 46 is actually quite old already.
    No it's not .

Nah its not, especially considering Joss Naylor's planning a 70 peaks at 70. Not to compare my Dad to Iron Joss but fell running does seem to be one of the best reces for the older generation, isn't the average age for the Bob Graham 35 or something? Anyway when you look at people like Wendy Dodds, doing a 53 peak Bob Graham at 51, Ive no hope for a while yet on that front! No, there's no alternative, I guess I'll just have to [shock horror!!!] do something about it!
    New, young and ignorant.

Keven Shevels book , downhill running is a good little book, think its trailguides.com or .co.uk gives u ideas on training