Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good running club, NW?

Good running club, NW?

I've just started running a couple of months ago and want to join a running club, preferably one that goes fell running....I live in Liverpool and have been running on trails since I started...would be grateful of any suggestions?

Master

Re: Good running club, NW?

Horwich near Bolton. A bit further afield Saddleworth who train on the fells every tuesday. Its about 1 hour away on the train.
    Hope this helps

There's lots of good clubs in Liverpool, but none that go fell running particually.

You might be best joining your local club to train with during the week, and another one in the hills thats affiliated for fells. Clwydian Hill Runners and Bowland both come to mind. It's a shame Merseyside FR no longer exists, eh YDT?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Horwich near Bolton. A bit further afield Saddleworth who train on the fells every tuesday. Its about 1 hour away on the train.
    Hope this helps
    I think I'm going to try Astley and Tyldesley Running Club as it's only half an hour away from me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pudgy View Post
    There's lots of good clubs in Liverpool, but none that go fell running particually.

You might be best joining your local club to train with during the week, and another one in the hills thats affiliated for fells. Clwydian Hill Runners and Bowland both come to mind. It's a shame Merseyside FR no longer exists, eh YDT?
    i didnt no that liverpool had a fell runnung club, not really known for its fell runners! think iam going to try astley n tyldsley, thanks for the suggestions.

there's Skelmersdale Boundary Harriers, who have Ashurst Beacon/Parbold Hill/Billinge Hill to train on...

I from Liverpool, run for bowland which is a very friendly club if you want any advice get in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    there's Skelmersdale Boundary Harriers, who have Ashurst Beacon/Parbold Hill/Billinge Hill to train on...
    They're the hills I've been training on at the moment, and also Sandstone Trail in Cheshire...thanks for the suggestion

Another thought - Helsby run off road every Wed on the end of the Sandstone and thereabouts. The Liverpool clubs always seem to hand out a beating on the xc, so can't be entirely roadie

As someone who runs for Wigan Phoenix I'd say join Skem boundary harriers if you want a club that does train on hilly terrain and also to some extent the fells and also some members do race over the fells.

From experience it can be a bugger getting from Liverpool to anywhere at rush hour can be a nightmare. It used to take me about an hour to get from Wigan to Liverpool and from st helens could take 45 minutes at rush hour. You would have a similar job to get to Astley the travel time is the killer when you put all the traffic into place particularly along the Lancs. The other way which has been mentioned would be to train with a road/track orientated club and join the likes of Horwich or Bowland for the fells. There are a good number of clubs in the liverpool some good some not so. There are clubs like Liverpool Harriers, Liverpool road runners, Penny Lane Striders, southport and waterloo, Wirral.

From experience I'd say its easier to train with a local club particularly if only just really starting out. Some of us are miserable though and train by ourselves like me.