Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner's first Fell Race

Beginner's first Fell Race

Hello,

I was touched by fell running for the first time last year whilst on a walk around the Langdale Pikes in the Lake District, when I saw maybe 2-300 running a 15-mile route. I had heard of the sport and some of names before but knew little else about it. Always up for a challenge I decided that this year I would have a go. The race I've chosen is The Kinder Downfall, in the Peak District.

As a keen marathon runner for the last 6 years and enthusiastic XC and trail run competitor, a lapsed but once-seasoned racing cyclist, an Ironman finisher (for which I had to learn to swim) and someone who loves being in mountains (whether for cycling, walking, climbing or skiing...), even though I hail from the flat lands of East Anglia, my perception is that this is not outside the realms of my capabilities.

So, I come here to seek sound advice from you sane (a-hem) and level-headed fellows, I guess my questions are not too far removed from the same-old, same-old....

1) Am I being completely naive, this is way outside my capabilities and should I crawl back under the stone from whence I came....?

2) In accordance with rule 9 of the FRA.... I am supposed to carry with me a "windproof full body cover". Thinking of weight, is this open to interpretation and will my trusty space blanket suffice as a "windproof fall body cover"? Or do I need something a little more technical, i.e. jacket + trousers, if so, can someone recommend me a product (my walking gear, though technically brilliant, will be far too heavy for this - hence the term "walking gear")?

3) Living in East Anglia has its disadvantages when it comes to training for fell running. Mainly a lack of anything remotely like a fell. I suspect the Sunday xc league events I regularly take part in fall somewhat short in terms of effort required, but there are many rough trails I can train on. Is anyone else here in a similar situation?

4) Should I mention Inov8's - or is this a swear word in these parts?

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: Beginner's first Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by Suffolk Punch View Post
    I was touched by fell running for the first time last year whilst on a walk around the Langdale Pikes in the Lake District, when I saw maybe 2-300 running a 15-mile route. I had heard of the sport and some of names before but knew little else about it. Always up for a challenge I decided that this year I would have a go. The race I've chosen is The Kinder Downfall, in the Peak District.
    When abouts was this? I might have been one of the ones running (shambling/falling) past you! I hope being touched by fell-running is different to being touched by a fell-runner!

1) Am I being completely naive, this is way outside my capabilities and should I crawl back under the stone from whence I came....?
    No it's alright little fella, out you come, come on, we won't hurt you...

10mi and 2500ft of climb? If you can do a marathon you can probably get round this. Might not be easy (I made the transfer from road running not too long ago) - it definitely works parts of you the roads cannot reach. But from an endurance point of view, you'll probably be fine. Just watch everyone around you: don't feel pressured to run every climb, the hands on knees climbing can be faster. And then there's the descents...best discover that pleasure for yourself!! No doubt despite the pain, you'll be hooked.

2) In accordance with rule 9 of the FRA.... I am supposed to carry with me a "windproof full body cover". Thinking of weight, is this open to interpretation and will my trusty space blanket suffice as a "windproof fall body cover"? Or do I need something a little more technical, i.e. jacket + trousers, if so, can someone recommend me a product (my walking gear, though technically brilliant, will be far too heavy for this - hence the term "walking gear")?
    If they do kit checks, they'll need to see trousers and jacket. So worth investing in some lightweight stuff. (See the equipment thread for some tips).

3) Living in East Anglia has its disadvantages when it comes to training for fell running. Mainly a lack of anything remotely like a fell. I suspect the Sunday xc league events I regularly take part in fall somewhat short in terms of effort required, but there are many rough trails I can train on. Is anyone else here in a similar situation?
    Plenty of other people on here have mentioned a similar problem living down south. Would be worth browsing through the threads (probably in the training section?). Offered as solutions in the past: reps of office/tower block stairwells; hill reps on the one hill you can find...but otherwise, just get to whatever races/meets you can.

No, you're safe with this!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Hello,

As a keen marathon runner for the last 6 years and enthusiastic XC and trail run competitor, a lapsed but once-seasoned racing cyclist, an Ironman finisher (for which I had to learn to swim) and someone who loves being in mountains (whether for cycling, walking, climbing or skiing...), even though I hail from the flat lands of East Anglia, my perception is that this is not outside the realms of my capabilities.

So, I come here to seek sound advice from you sane (a-hem) and level-headed fellows, I guess my questions are not too far removed from the same-old, same-old....

Phew!

1) if you can navigate then you should have no problems well no more than the rest of us climbing william clough

2) A space blanket would not do at all!! and you should bear in mind that this is a mininmum requirement. You may need waterproof on the day if the RO deems it neccessary. Search the Forum for ligthweight clothing in the equipment thread it will give you enough reading for weeks.

3) You could use a step maching but if you cycle a lot that will help.

4) there in lies another long thread discussion....

Good luck on race day PPP permitting I'll be there.

Do it, it's great race. I did it for the first time last year as one of my earlier races. If you can get to the plateau at 3 miles, you've done the hard work. How hard can 3 miles be? Get a coat though

PS 2,500' is generous I think.

Quote Originally Posted by idler View Post
    PS 2,500' is generous I think.
    Not done the race myself, just got that of a website.

It's a great race to start with - all the climb is in the first few miles, and the rest is spectacular (and flat or downhill!)

Don't go off too fast and with your mara fitness you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by marty mcfly View Post
    It's a great race to start with - all the climb is in the first few miles, and the rest is spectacular (and flat or downhill!)
    Aye, it's up a bit (a lot), flattish then, errm, downhill. See you there SP. Are you coming up from Suffolk for the day then?

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    Aye, it's up a bit (a lot), flattish then, errm, downhill. See you there SP. Are you coming up from Suffolk for the day then?
    Yep - don't know what's madder - running up and then down the hills for the sheer hell of it or the 400-mile odd round trip to run up and down the said hills!

Thanks for the gen guys!

Yep - don't know what's madder - running up and then down the hills for the sheer hell of it or the 400-mile odd round trip to run up and down the said hills!

Thanks for the gen guys!
    Best of luck, and let us know how you get on!

I completed this in 1hr 51mins, which I was chuffed about. I'd given myself 2hrs.

Was quite an experience, the run downhill was terrifying at times, but I guess that's part of the attraction! Had no issues with the distance, though I wish I hadn't started at the back as it was a slow slog up William Clough and I knew I wouldn't be quite so fast as some on the downhill run back to Hayfield.

Hope to be up there again soon (Kinder Trog maybe....) as the Peaks are fairly easy for me to get to (if a 4 hour drive).