Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'First claim' rules

'First claim' rules

Running, for me, is something of an escape from committees and regulations, so I've probably paid less attention to the minutiae of rules than was their due.
    I'd really appreciate some advice from those of you who have had the patience to engage with such matters.

I joined a local club twenty years ago. It was almost exclusively a road running club, and affiliated as such. As a result, when I started out on the fells about six years ago I also joined a fell running club which is UKA affiliated. (I'll leave the Fell Ponies out of this account, as it's already complicated enough!)

Over this time I've considered the first club to be my first claim on road, the second to be my first claim on the fells. I don't know if that was technically correct, but it seemed fair and reasonable and rarely led to any clashes of interest. I know quite a number of runners - forumites indeed - who are in a similar position, competing for different road and fell clubs according to the race.
    However, over the last couple of years (and partly inspired by my own accounts of the splendours of fell running compared with the tarmac version) more and more of my fellow runners from the road club have started venturing onto the hills. As a result I'm increasingly finding myself running 'against' the first club I joined.
    In terms of prizes and overall results this isn't likely to ever cause a problem..... However, being a law-abiding citizen I do like to do things properly. What's the correct form here?
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Re: 'First claim' rules

You just have to check with your first club and see if they are "Fell affiliated". Let me explain.

Some clubs eg. Clayton - are only affiliated for Road, Fell and Cross Country and so if a 1st Claim Clayton runner wants to do some track races "in a team" he can join a second club that is affiliated to the track. We have some athletes with us under such an arrangement from clubs such as Clayton, Skipton and Dashers who do not affiliate for track and field.

You need to check which discpilines your first club is affiliated for - you are then first claim for that club for all those disciplines.
    Your second club will only cover you for those discipilines not covered by your first clo
    ub, as long as you second club is affiliated.

Hope that helps.

WP.

NB. http://www.lancsaa.co.uk/Default_Fil...lebook2008.pdf may help.

Thanks WP. I know that my first club hasn't been 'fell affiliated' up to now, but I believe there was a move to consider changing this so I'll need to find out. If it does become fell affiliated, does that prevent me from ever running for my 'proper' fell club again?

To answer my own question: following your link, rule 409 (!!!) seems to indicate pretty clearly that that would be the case.
    Let's hope the road-running bloc ont' committee vetoed the proposal to fell -affiliate...

It will in team events where UKA or First claim rules apply. FRA Rules also refer to UKa rules in regard to membership.

Our readings of the rules agree then WP. Thanks for your help in clarifying this.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    To answer my own question: following your link, rule 409 (!!!) seems to indicate pretty clearly that that would be the case.
    Let's hope the road-running bloc ont' committee vetoed the proposal to fell -affiliate...
    Set up an anti-fell lobby group. Tell them it's bad for their health or something!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Set up an anti-fell lobby group.
    Mindreader! Now, how can I make the fells sound really unpleasant to roadies?

[Thinks............................................ ..............] I know! Tell 'em the truth!

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Mindreader! Now, how can I make the fells sound really unpleasant to roadies?

[Thinks............................................ ..............] I know! Tell 'em the truth!
    A Convenient Truth: a Tussockface film coming to a village hall near you!!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Tussockface,
    Surely you can argue that your fell club is your first claim, and only run on the roads for your other club because your fell club doesn't compete off the fell.
    I know other folk in your club do this and I really don't see any argument against it.