Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'First claim' rules

Re: 'First claim' rules

Honestly Duff, they were all done there. Question posed, question answered, everyone happy. Now you chime in with an additional response and we could be here for days yet.

I was in a similar position. My original club is not FRA affiliated so I was gonna leave and join one that was. The club secretary told me that I didnt need to leave though as I could compete on road and track for them and for my 'new' club on fell. Havent joined a fell club yet though, just enter races under FRA.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

I don't think clubs are FRA affiliated - only individuals.

There are 6 athletic discpilines under UKA.

Track and Field
    Cross Country
    Road
    Fell
    Trail (I never see an event flagged under this banner"
    Race Walking

Every UKA club ticks the boxes each year to say which of these they cater for.
    Some are lazy and tick all the boxes, even though they do not really cater for that event leaving athletes "stuck".

All this club membership millarky kind of worries me; I was a member of Skipton AC but can't really claim to be any longer (I don't pay for a start) even though I still run with them on the odd training evening. If I lived a bit nearer Skipton I'd seriously think about joining wharfedale harriers (if they'd have me) because they are so fell focused and have so many training nights to pick and choose from but, as I don't, I will instead almost certainly start running again on Wednesday evenings with Settle Harriers (if they'll have me ), especially as their off road training routes are all stunning. I'm of course also a 'member' of fell ponies and have proudly worn their vests in races, even though the bastard things can graze my nipples to a pulp.

If I then raced having 'joined' Settle, I'd obviously be keen to show allegience to vest and will smartly kick the ponies into touch; the emerald green colour of Settle vests I have to admit is far superior to the grimy yellow of Skipton or the washed out white with blue and some other colour stripes of wharfedale and I'm assuming it isn't fashioned from millstone grit like the pony ones.

So I'll prostitute my 'services' to gain a trendy vest but Settle Harriers won't especially gain much from from my dodgy allegience in return, certainly not in any positional sense in races.

Isn't all this registration and affiliation daftly well over the top or is it me? Its not like running is really a team sport either is it?

Quote Originally Posted by bestathlete View Post
    Honestly Duff, they were all done there. Question posed, question answered, everyone happy. Now you chime in with an additional response and we could be here for days yet.
    Glad to be of service. When can we go back to folding numbers?

So taking this one step further:

If, someone was a member of a Fell only Club and they wanted to run in a road race (spits violently) should they enter as unattached and pay the extra levy?
    Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    So taking this one step further:

If, someone was a member of a Fell only Club and they wanted to run in a road race (spits violently) should they enter as unattached and pay the extra levy?
    Yes. However if you are a member of the FRA as well as a Fell only Club you can avoid paying the unattached levy in a road race by registering (no charge) with England Athletics through the FRA. See the Home Page of the FRA Website:

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by MargC View Post
    Yes. However if you are a member of the FRA as well as a Fell only Club you can avoid paying the unattached levy in a road race by registering (no charge) with England Athletics through the FRA. See the Home Page of the FRA Website:

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/
    You may also be a member of an UKA Fell only (or non road) club.

Someone may correct me - but I think Bowland fit the bill. I recall that they are fell and XC - but the members will all be afiliated to England Athletics and therefore already be able to run in road races - attached - and for their club.

But Bowland recognises that they do not support Road Running, so any Bowland Runner would be able to join a second club if they wanted to take part in team road race events such as the 12 / 6 stage relays.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    All this club membership millarky kind of worries me; I was a member of Skipton AC but can't really claim to be any longer (I don't pay for a start) even though I still run with them on the odd training evening. If I lived a bit nearer Skipton I'd seriously think about joining wharfedale harriers (if they'd have me) because they are so fell focused and have so many training nights to pick and choose from but, as I don't, I will instead almost certainly start running again on Wednesday evenings with Settle Harriers (if they'll have me ), especially as their off road training routes are all stunning. I'm of course also a 'member' of fell ponies and have proudly worn their vests in races, even though the bastard things can graze my nipples to a pulp.

If I then raced having 'joined' Settle, I'd obviously be keen to show allegience to vest and will smartly kick the ponies into touch; the emerald green colour of Settle vests I have to admit is far superior to the grimy yellow of Skipton or the washed out white with blue and some other colour stripes of wharfedale and I'm assuming it isn't fashioned from millstone grit like the pony ones.

So I'll prostitute my 'services' to gain a trendy vest but Settle Harriers won't especially gain much from from my dodgy allegience in return, certainly not in any positional sense in races.

Isn't all this registration and affiliation daftly well over the top or is it me? Its not like running is really a team sport either is it?
    Stolly-you would be more than welcome at Settle Harriers-you are correct that our off road routes are stunning but cannot confirm/deny the nipple pulping as i always wear a tee-shirt under my trendy Settle vest! you would also be welcome to the Monday night session (mainly ladies but men welcome) and at juniors tuesday session we are glad of an extra pair of eyes-33 kids turned up this week in the rain and had a brill time!