Thread: What to eat - when to eat

Re: What to eat - when to eat

He looks really lissom on it as well

Lissom my arse. Pure thunder thighs!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I eat what I like when I like and I think I got your stone! LOL... Or is it I just got those "get out of jail free" jene's they are on about this week that mean it's a waist (!) of time me dieting!! LOL
    Wants to see the Old Fella again SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Egglet, I have just lost 1 stone in 5 weeks. I eat as much as I want, when I want. I have completely lost the desire to snack. I eat fab tasty food and get blotto on wine on a regular basis. Want to know more? Check out the 'Wine and Food Lovers Diet'. It really works!
    Come on then Wheeze, tell us more about this diet, I love food and wine of all discriptions so this sounds too good to be true
    I only run so I can eat cake Oh...and drink cider

OK, its really simple, just a sensible variation on the low GI theme.
    The basic physiological idea is to avoid sudden spikes in blood sugar immediately after eating. These spikes cause a large release of insulin. This is a bad thing on 3 counts.
    1. The insulin promotes storage not burning of fat.
    2. The insulin rapidly clears the sugar from the blood resulting in hunger again.
    3. In extreme cases, repeatedly releasing large doses of insulin means that the body no longer responds (insulin fatigue) and you become diabetic.

So, by eating only foods that release their sugar slowly (so called low glycaemic foods) you prevent the release of insulin. This has the following beneficial effects.
    1. Instead of storing fat, you burn it.
    2. Your blood sugar levels stay steady so you don't feel hungry between meals.
    3. You don't overstress the body response to insulin so your metabolism improves.

Turning your metabolism from sugar burning to fat burning takes about 4 days of feeling weird followed by a rapid improvement. I now feel 15 years younger, I have lost my spare tyre and my distance stamina has improved. I have no urge to snack and I love my food.
    The wine bit is a no brainer. Wine is good for you....even the Romans knew that

There are lots of internet lists of low GI foods. Tesco's labels low GI products now.
    Basically, avoid potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, most processed foods, anything with glucose syrup in it.
    On the other hand, meat, fish, green vegetables, nuts and dairy products can be eaten at liberty. Treats include dried apricots and 70% cocoa black choccy!
    The Wine and Food Lovers Diet was written by a friend. You can read about on the internet.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

There are lots of internet lists of low GI foods. Tesco's labels low GI products now.
    Basically, avoid potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, most processed foods, anything with glucose syrup in it.

Wheeze, so is it a low carb diet which isn't ideal for exercise? or are there carbs in other low GI foods?

Mmmh
    Tuffer

Is enjoying the running

And so what is an example of what you'd actually be eating?
    What miles per day are you doing?
    Wants to see the Old Fella again SOON!

Also Wheeze - what are you eating for a pre race meal?

I can't do the banana thing and have discovered oats/porridge to be a big no no (both give me horrendous stitch) so now have 2 slices of wholemeal toast but guess you don't eat this anymore right?

Tuffer, don't confuse Low GI with Low carb. There are stacks of carbs in vegetables, nuts and things like mushrooms. Its just that they are released into the bloodstream slowly unlike sugary or starchy foods (High GI) where the carbs get hoovered up really fast. And when you think about it, you need slow release stuff to last you through a race. My eating plan now is high carb (low GI), high protein and high fat and high fibre.

Egglet, when I did my 3 x 10 mile runs in one day, my eating plan was:
    Porridge and berries
    Run 10 miles
    Bacon, eggs and mushrooms. Greek yoghurt. Apple juice
    Run 10 miles
    2 Chilli Tortilla wraps. Dried apricots and 70% cocoa choccy. Black tea
    Run 10 miles

No problem with energy and no cramp (unusual for me since on my previous pasta/rice type diet I always got it).

Emmy, I've never been one to obsess about a pre-race meal. If toast does it for you, fine. Me, I just lob down a bit of dark choccy and keep going on dried apricots.

And in case anyone else thinks I'm obsessive about this, I'm not. Its just that I have changed the habits of a lifetime, walked away from a whole load of BS talked about food (by so-called experts) and now feel a whole lot better for it.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    My eating plan now is high carb (low GI), high protein and high fat and high fibre.
    Some of this is interesting but bits of it are just bobbins - how is High Fat good for you?

For instance, Carbs, protein & fat are the three sources of calories and generally diets or eating plans can be described in the approximate ratio each to the other - in other words between the three of them to account for 100% of calorie intake. So you could have a High Fat, High Protein, Low Carb or High Carb, Low Fat, Low Protein but all three can't be high.

Most of all, bear in mind this is a diet and it is subtitled "28 Days of Delicious Weight Loss". That is it - a 28 day plan - it isn't a way a life, it is just another diet, from another "expert"!

You have to wonder about a diet that restricts starchy carbs (potatoes' GI depends largely on how they are cooked) but allows you to get blotto on wine (with all the calories that involves). Diets work like prisons work, in the short term and often with detrimental long term results.

The low GI stuff and the insulin response is well known and widely recognised the problem, if you are an aspiring author is how to dress it, up so that it appeals to already jaded diet book audience.

I am not knocking anyone who does three (10 mile) sessions a day but bear in mind the glycogen in you leg muscles should be sufficient to take to 19 -20 miles and only thereafter do you have to rely on other energy sources. 10 miles isn't enough to 'empty you legs', 20 miles is and mileage thereafter needs other energy sources. 20+ mile sessions test your eating habits in a way that 3 x 10 mile sessions don't.

Wheeze, you are to be congratulated on your weight loss and feeling so chipper with it but now is the time to stand back a bit, have a look at other nutritional options and think about a way of life and not just a 28 day plan.
    Last edited by FellShoeShuffler; 28-04-2007 at 01:46 PM.