Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camper Vans

Camper Vans

OK, so Im thinking of a camper van - trips to Scotland and Europe etc. VW T4 seems to the sort of thing. Does anyone have any tips.

- what to look for, what to avoid.
    - Storage space.
    - Pop-top or hard-top.

I am a van virgin, so its all new to me.

PS What is a Rock and Roll bed????

Re: Camper Vans

Try http://www.vwcampers.co.uk/
    it's got it all
    Going to try again....

Master

I have a T25 Autohomes high top conversion and love it.

There is a good active enthusiast club /forum where you will be welcomed and your questions answered, in addition to there being a wealth of tecnical and practical info to be had, A look through the for sale section could be worthwhile, no deprciation on these vans, and tons of character

Take a look here:- http://www.club80-90.co.uk/ Just register to gain access to the full site.

If you should decide to go T25 try to get one that runs on LPG or get it converted to do so because @ 45p a litre running on gas makes long distances more affordable.

Whatever you decide have fun and enjoy.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by CribGoch View Post
    OK, so Im thinking of a camper van - trips to Scotland and Europe etc. VW T4 seems to the sort of thing. Does anyone have any tips.

- what to look for, what to avoid.
    - Storage space.
    - Pop-top or hard-top.

I am a van virgin, so its all new to me.

PS What is a Rock and Roll bed????
    Hey mate, I'm about to put up my 1984 VW Hi-roof Karisma for sale, rock n' role bed (back seat just folds out to become a 2 berth) comes with everything, cutlery, tent/awning/fridge/heater/tv/captain seats/cooking range/bike rack...MOT'd till dec 2009 /serviced in Dec 2008/Full service history.....Two owners prior to me, Immaculate condition and a joy to drive....Lots of fun, unfortunatly due to todays economic climate I can't afford to keep it

£3'950 ONO

If interested I will sort some photo's out or if in Saddleworth...Going to be going in Autotrader in the next couple of weeks...

Cheers Phil
    Consider yourself lightly; consider the world deeply.

We own a van, although it’s not a VW.

It’s great for just getting away into the country or a warm dry changing room after a race.

I would definitely recommend going for a high top rather than a popup.
    Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success

Quote Originally Posted by Alphin View Post
    Hey mate, I'm about to put up my 1984 VW Hi-roof Karisma for sale, rock n' role bed (back seat just folds out to become a 2 berth) comes with everything, cutlery, tent/awning/fridge/heater/tv/captain seats/cooking range/bike rack...MOT'd till dec 2009 /serviced in Dec 2008/Full service history.....Two owners prior to me, Immaculate condition and a joy to drive....Lots of fun, unfortunatly due to todays economic climate I can't afford to keep it

£3'950 ONO

If interested I will sort some photo's out or if in Saddleworth...Going to be going in Autotrader in the next couple of weeks...

Cheers Phil
    Thanks for that. We are still at the early stages, but will be in touch if we want to have a look.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

As for the LPG, how widespread is the supply these days. Must say it never really ocurred to me. I wouldnt want to restrict where I could go because of it. Diesel sounds like a more universal fuel option, and more economical than petrol.

I have a raising roof van based off a Renault Traffic. It's my only transport so gets used every day. Raising roof improves the fuel economy a bit 40 mpg over 5 weeks in Italy just I just got back from but normaly more like 37. It lets you get into most multi storie carparks my height is 1.99. Disadvantage is you loose some storage and have to take a couple of minutes to put it up and take it down. I don't know why I did not get a van earlier just having that much more space to change in and being able to have a coffee any time is great befor we consider the wet camping alternative I was doing for ages....

Ifor

Master

Quote Originally Posted by CribGoch View Post
    Thanks for the tips everyone.

As for the LPG, how widespread is the supply these days. Must say it never really ocurred to me. I wouldnt want to restrict where I could go because of it. Diesel sounds like a more universal fuel option, and more economical than petrol.
    I have travelled the length and breadth of this country, the Isle of Man and Ireland, using LPG with no probs finding it,and looking at the POIs for LPG in europe i can`t see any probs there either, although it is no big deal as our van is essentially a dual fuel vehicle, as when converted we retained the existing fuel system as well, which with both tanks full gives us a range of getting on for 600 miles and i would be suprised not to find an outlet for LPG in that distance, plus there is also the option tolink your domestic gas appliances to the system.

Take a look here :- http://www.google.co.uk/search?clien...=Google+Search

While on the subject of domestic don`t worry about a cooker just get one of these :-

http://cobb-bbq.co.uk/

They are much more efficient than the small units to be found in most vans,

On the subject of pop top is there not a lack of insulation with the roof raised when Camping at say Glenmore or Braemar during december/January?
    Last edited by JohnK; 12-05-2009 at 11:15 AM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    On the subject of pop top is there not a lack of insulation with the roof raised when Camping at say Glenmore or Braemar during december/January?
    True I would not be raising the roof in this situation and would be sleeping downstrairs... On my 5 weeks in Italy I am just back from there was one night where I was up high and it started snowing so the roof stayed down.

Ifor