Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Etiquette questions

novice

Etiquette questions

A couple of etiquette questions
    So tomorrow is Rainow 5 race and it has its fair share of styles and spring loaded gates. So what is the etiquette with gates when someone is just that bit behind you that to keep it open would make you stop.
    Do you let the gate slam shut or wait that extra 1 second. Usually I would hold the gate but every second counts when you are competing for 91st place.
    At last years race there was a field of frisky stamping cows/bullocks (this year the same field has a number of cows and the worlds biggest bull). So what is the etiquette if caught in the middle of a field with stamping cows
    a) Hide behind the person in 90th place and shout wildly
    b) Take it like a man/woman
    c) Carry some Bovril which hopefully will act as some sort of threat
    d) Retreat rapidly
    So many dilemmas

Re: Etiquette questions

If the cows start running at you.....shout your head off at them (F*CK OFF usually works) and run AT THEM....you'll win.

Stand behind Al
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Cows
    Donald Duck to the etiquette - if you are in fear of personal injury then do whatever the heck you feel best fits the situation.

Gates/stiles
    If I ever find myself coming to a gate/stile in a race (or even a fast offroad training run with others), I endeavour to make up the metre or three necessary to get there with the others (or preferably before them). this negates any similar dilemma to yours the runners may have had and also avoids me getting a 'gateslam'.

Bearing the above in mind then, I would definately not hold open for the next runner as in my opinion they could have made up 2seconds to be right on your heels if they were as on the ball as I (and now you) try to be.

Having said all that though - if it was a big, hinged gate I would probably push it fully open as I passed through to increase the chance of the next runner finding it still a bit open.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Cows are a problem. They are more scared of you then you should be of them. Shouting and waving of arms will normally do teh trick but if they are stampeding who knows.

With the gate I tend to push it wide open for the next one. If it slams shut then its hard luck. I also like to get to gates before those just infront of me on the run in and will tend to be quick away off the gate or stile. Whatever you do don't queue jump and although some of us are guilty of hte odd bit of vaulting gates fences and walls its frowned upon.

RE etiqueete, you'll do it without realising, if your in full flow at speed, you'll probably shove the gate open to try to help the next person. I wouldn't appreciate it if it was slammed in my face but thats never happened, a gesture is what most people seem to try. I've not had people stop and hold it open for me but wouldn't expect that. Assaid at the start, do what you think is right.

not sure about cows, but for bears, wolves, tigers or other man-eating animals ...

... as long as you can run quicker than the person you're with you'll be okay as they will be one who gets caught and eaten.

the cow story reminds me of a junior championship race at sedbergh in 2007 where there was a herd with a frisky bull in a field that the juniors were to run through.

in true fellrunning style, the mitigation of this risk (presumably recorded on the health and safety risk assessment) was to ask parents not to cheer and shout too loudly when their children were descending towards the finish through that field - a magnificent two fingered salute to the nanny state.
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

It's a dodgy time of year for cows; they've just come out of the barns in the last few weeks and some are still a bit pumped up on all that fresh grass! Watch out for the young ones as well; calves are ok as long as you don't get between them and mum, but slightly older ones tend to career about in packs like a well oiled hen do!

Friesans are usually pretty placid (but see above about mums and calves) but some of the beef heifers can be a bit aggressive.

Gosh, don't i know a lot about cows!! (comes from being chased a lot)

Final point; you can't outrun a cow if it really wants to chase you. Best to slow to a unthreatening fast walk, angle away from it and avoid eye contact. Only start waving your arms about etc, if you absolutely have to.

Super Moderator

All this talk of cows and bulls keeps reminding me of the classic scene in Withnail and I where Withnail is confronted by the bull after leaving the gate open!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

So have none of you lot lied down in the middle of a field full of cows....its amazing.

They all crowd round you, slowly plucking up courage bit by bit and moving closer and closer to you until your surrounded by about 30 wet nosey.

Its good fun until one of the boisterous cows comes storming in and bumps the cows and one nearly stands on you.

I love cows.....one got my hand crushed at the Great Eccleston show....i was going round looking at all the bulls and this beast of a Hereford didtn want me stroking its head so nutted my hand against the pen.....f!ck me it hurt....pretended nothing happened though.