Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody fancy a cycle

Re: Anybody fancy a cycle

Quote Originally Posted by johnmc View Post
    So you only do kosher rides then?
    nope I'm not choosy...well not all the time....just busy!

Gonna get me a road bike - I'm tall and heavy, hoping the bike will get me less heavy and better at running up mountains. Not ridden a bike for years - any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    Gonna get me a road bike - I'm tall and heavy, hoping the bike will get me less heavy and better at running up mountains. Not ridden a bike for years - any advice?
    Martyn, the Boardman bikes look good value for money; BUT a Tour de France look-a-like ( and spotty faced young oiks in Halfords ) is probably the last thing that you need if you are heavy and just getting back into cycling!! A touring or audax bike with a wide spread of gear ratios is probably what you need, for where you are at, at this moment in time!
    For lightweight steel touring/audax bikes and an excellent fitting service you could do far worse than having a look at Paul Hewitt's ( Leyland, Lancs ) own brand, off-the-peg bikes.

Ian.

Thanks WD - just found their website - looks good

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Martin, be very careful, there is no limit to the money you can spend on bikes!

If you're just testing the water to see if you fancy a bit of cycling, here are a few suggestions;

Graham Weigh - in Shotton - do part exchange on bikes, you may be able to get a serviced pre-loved bike from there.

I picked up a bike on eBay for about £235 & I've been happy with it, but I may have been very lucky.

You could have a word with Rich Wykes, he's a seasoned triathlete & may be able to help you.

I could put a message on the Wrecsam Tri site & see if anyone has anything suitable in their garage.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellrunner View Post

If you're just testing the water to see if you fancy a bit of cycling, here are a few suggestions;

Graham Weigh - in Shotton - do part exchange on bikes, you may be able to get a serviced pre-loved bike from there.

I picked up a bike on eBay for about £235 & I've been happy with it, but I may have been very lucky.

You could have a word with Rich Wykes, he's a seasoned triathlete & may be able to help you.

I could put a message on the Wrecsam Tri site & see if anyone has anything suitable in their garage.
    Don't listen to him!! You'll be flogging your ass round FRance for 11 hours before you know it! :w00t:

Quote Originally Posted by Fellrunner View Post

Do you know anything about West End Cycles at Deganwy? I'll be passing there this weekend!

Senior Member Usually at the back's Avatar

Not sure if you are emplyed by a Local Authority (with your teaching). Some LA's offer a 'Cycle to Work' scheme, which means you can save at least 25% as a tax payer. Jim from the Clwydian Runners bought a bike through this sceme last year, and I am seriously considering it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Usually at the back View Post
    Not sure if you are emplyed by a Local Authority (with your teaching). Some LA's offer a 'Cycle to Work' scheme, which means you can save at least 25% as a tax payer. Jim from the Clwydian Runners bought a bike through this sceme last year, and I am seriously considering it myself.
    Is that a saving on the price of a new bike? Or what?

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Yeah, the C2W scheme is for new bikes up to £1000. Fantastic value if your employer runs it.

I know nothing about West End Cycles, but if you're passing, it makes sense to visit them & a few other bike shops to start finding out what you want & what you're willing to pay. They're normally quite intimidating places for non-bicyclists, I still don't much like them.

The Boardman bikes are very well reviewed. The frames & componentry are really good value. Some people have had bad experiences with the Halfords staff who sell/put them together. The commom consensus is to buy the bike from Halfords & then take it to a local bike shop to check it over.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.