Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ankles/Lower Shins

Ankles/Lower Shins

Hi,

I have just failed to complete "The Fellsman" for the second year in a row. each year I have made it to around the 50 mile mark. This time last year (4 days after the event) I still couldn't walk. This year I am a lot better, however I have very sore lower shins (about 2-3 inches above the ankle). It is this pain that made me retire from the event. The rest of my legs are pretty good and have recovered. I don't hink it is shin splints as I have had these before and this feels more muscular. On Monday after the event my ankles looked like I was pregnant but they have gone down now. I think the pain and swelling is caused from going downhill and the constant jarring. I live in London so appart from moving North it is very hard to train for Fell events. Can anyone please give me advice, firstly if this is ankle related and secondly how to strengthen them so I can complete "The Fellsman" on my 3rd attempt. I should also mention that until last year I had never run past 15 miles and I am not really built for running as I am just under 100kgs.

I look forward to your advice.

Cheers,
    Dave

Super Moderator

Re: Ankles/Lower Shins

Quote Originally Posted by godaveogo View Post
    Hi,

I have just failed to complete "The Fellsman" for the second year in a row. each year I have made it to around the 50 mile mark. This time last year (4 days after the event) I still couldn't walk. This year I am a lot better, however I have very sore lower shins (about 2-3 inches above the ankle). It is this pain that made me retire from the event. The rest of my legs are pretty good and have recovered. I don't hink it is shin splints as I have had these before and this feels more muscular. On Monday after the event my ankles looked like I was pregnant but they have gone down now. I think the pain and swelling is caused from going downhill and the constant jarring. I live in London so appart from moving North it is very hard to train for Fell events. Can anyone please give me advice, firstly if this is ankle related and secondly how to strengthen them so I can complete "The Fellsman" on my 3rd attempt. I should also mention that until last year I had never run past 15 miles and I am not really built for running as I am just under 100kgs.

I look forward to your advice.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Sounds to me like you've done pretty well Dave to get as far as you have

We were talking about hill training for people who don't live near the hills last night in the pub. Cycling uphills could help, as could Stairmaster or similar in the gym or reps of staircases. Search the Long Distance section of the forum and look for I think 10,000ft per week - there's some good tips there
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Super Moderator
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by godaveogo View Post
    Hi,

I have just failed to complete "The Fellsman" for the second year in a row. each year I have made it to around the 50 mile mark. This time last year (4 days after the event) I still couldn't walk. This year I am a lot better, however I have very sore lower shins (about 2-3 inches above the ankle). It is this pain that made me retire from the event. The rest of my legs are pretty good and have recovered. I don't hink it is shin splints as I have had these before and this feels more muscular. On Monday after the event my ankles looked like I was pregnant but they have gone down now. I think the pain and swelling is caused from going downhill and the constant jarring. Dave
    This sounds like classic shin splints to me - there are two types. I had exactly the same symptons after completing the Fellsman - and have just received treatment. My left ankle was locked and also my right heel. The anterior tibialis had to over compensate causing stress at the connection to the bone, pain and swelling. In a more advanced stage shards of bone would be torn away. My left ankle is still swollen.

Are you running in new or worn out trainers? Did you get proper advice when choosing your trainers?

Stef

I had this on the event but found that ibruprofen was enough to block the pain till the end. My right ankle was quite swolen on Monday but after applying ibruprofen gel at night it seems fine now and I have been able to run okay on it. I think its just a side effect of long distance running and the pounding coming downhill. For us gents who are not so waif like its probably a bit worse, I think the only thing that could help is to get as much climbing in as you can and make sure your trainers are in good condition, and try to run on the front of your feet when coming downhill rather than on your heels

HTML Code:
    For us gents who are not so waif like its probably a bit worse
    Waif like? How dare you!

Have you read the thread about man flu? Being gents your suffering is bound to be so very much worse!

For the record, I was in agony, Ibuprofen and Syndol together did nothing to reduce the pain whilst running, neither did the Codeine and ibuprofen I was taking after. I was on crutches until yesterday.

I think the freezing cold and iced ground water on Blea Moor caused the start of mine. I remember my shoes feeling very hard and uncomfortable until I warmed up at the next check point.

I meant waif like for a bloke as in the likes of Mark Hartell and Jez Bragg, no offence intended honest Its hard terrain and I think maybe only trainig on similar terrain would make you strong for it. I think all you can try to do is strengthen your ankles and feet, and maybe try orthotics if problems persist.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkarlo View Post
    I meant waif like for a bloke as in the likes of Mark Hartell and Jez Bragg, no offence intended honest Its hard terrain and I think maybe only trainig on similar terrain would make you strong for it. I think all you can try to do is strengthen your ankles and feet, and maybe try orthotics if problems persist.
    Ok, I'll let you off on this occasion!!

I train a lot on roads and when off road the ground is pretty even so no challenge for the ankles there. Maybe I should get a wobble board?

Quote Originally Posted by Stef F View Post
    Ok, I'll let you off on this occasion!!

I train a lot on roads and when off road the ground is pretty even so no challenge for the ankles there. Maybe I should get a wobble board?
    Stand on one leg with your eyes shut, its great fun, till you fall over
    Hills and Guinness!

To get that far must be heart breaking!