Page 92 of 102 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Movie

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    see if anyone knows/can guess (no googling!) which film I watched last night based on the last line of the credits before the fiction disclaimer:

"No flies were hurt during the making of the movie."

?
    Spiderman ?
    No country for old men.

see if anyone knows/can guess (no googling!) which film I watched last night based on the last line of the credits before the fiction disclaimer:

"No flies were hurt during the making of the movie."

?

So, even though the film "loses focus in a poorly scripted courtroom anti-climax" you watched it to the final credits?

And you could have been watching John Sayles' staggeringly good Lone Star (1995) one of the great under recognised American films- possibly because of the power of its brilliant low key and surprising ending which many Americans would be very uncomfortable with.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Alf - 2 excellent guesses!

GB - I said no googling! although I agree re the courtroom stuff, there's a couple of moments with Kathleen Turner near the very end that are worth watching: where she snaps "Suzanne Somer, this is my BAD SIDE!" and where she smashes Patricia Hearst in the face with a telephone handset for wearing white shoes after Labor Day

I've seen Lone Star (twice) and found it underwhelming, mainly cos I found the Chris Cooper character to be rather wet and I didn't really care about him.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

GB - I said no googling! although I agree re the courtroom stuff, there's a couple of moments with Kathleen Turner near the very end that are worth watching: where she snaps "Suzanne Somer, this is my BAD SIDE!" and where she smashes Patricia Hearst in the face with a telephone handset for wearing white shoes after Labor Day

I've seen Lone Star (twice) and found it underwhelming, mainly cos I found the Chris Cooper character to be rather wet and I didn't really care about him.
    The quote was from my 2011 Time Out Film Guide. No longer published alas.

I think what I like about Lone Star is that it is so not-Hollywood and addresses serious themes. In fact it is so good I can understand why US teenagers, or whoever made up the cinema audience in the 1990s, did not flock to see it.

As for actors? Just cattle. (And at least one portly film director was very unpleasant).
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I was also going to suggest 'Once upon a time in the West', the scene with Jack Elam at the beginning
    but Kathleen Turner wasn't in that film so I had to look it up Coincidentally I was watching Kathleen Turner in 'Peggy Sue got married' a couple of nights ago
    No country for old men.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    I was also going to suggest 'Once upon a time in the West', the scene with Jack Elam at the beginning
    but Kathleen Turner wasn't in that film so I had to look it up Coincidentally I was watching Kathleen Turner in 'Peggy Sue got married' a couple of nights ago
    ooh we could have an ongoing theme - "Flies In Film"

Kathleen Turner is more of a Movie Star than an actor - I have a fantastic publicity photo of her from Romancing The Stone - I'll dig it out and post a link...

ooh we could have an ongoing theme - "Flies In Film"

Kathleen Turner is more of a Movie Star than an actor - I have a fantastic publicity photo of her from Romancing The Stone - I'll dig it out and post a link...
    Or we can have a Kathleen Turner theme which reminds me I must dig out my copy of 'Body Heat'
    No country for old men.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Or we can have a Kathleen Turner theme which reminds me I must dig out my copy of 'Body Heat'
    as promised:

Prizzi's Honor is nearing the top of my DVD pile too...

The Railway Man, excellent.

Went to see 'X Men Days of future past' tonight. I enjoyed it and even sat through all the credits so I could watch a couple of minutes of a taster for the next film in the series. First modern film I have seen in 3D so that added a bit of fun to it.
    No country for old men.