Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solo BGR's

Solo BGR's

Had a quick squiz at the BG club site, can solo rounds not be registered? Can you ot be part of the BG club if you 'only' did a solo round and with no assistance on the fell?

I thought they could be, just couldn't see any info.

No plans just wondered.

Re: Solo BGR's

I'm afraid you can't be registered unless supported and witnessed. I asked the same question many months back and received a very reasoned, bespoke response. 99% of the fell running community would admit if their solo round was completed in 1 second over the 24 hours. However, there's always the 1%.

Basically as keighley-elstub has indicated:

The BG club only acknowledge new members who have had their round witnessed. I think they do acknowledge solo rounds by existing members but you don't get another number for doing so!

There's nothing to stop you just doing it of course and I'm sure there are quite a few people who have done either supported or unsupported rounds who have chosen not to join the BG club.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Had a quick squiz at the BG club site, can solo rounds not be registered? Can you ot be part of the BG club if you 'only' did a solo round and with no assistance on the fell?

I thought they could be, just couldn't see any info.

No plans just wondered.
    Iain

If you have a look at the Guidance Notes on the Club site, you will see that in order to attain membership of the Club, you must be accompanied on the fell at all times by at least 1 witness.

This has been a consistent position since the Club was formed.

The rationale is twofold; first, safety. Even the most able exponents of our sport can come to grief at any time. The view the Club takes is that support on the fells is also an intrinsic part of the BG challenge; Bob Graham had pacers and many, many contenders speak of the best part of their Round being the support, friendship and camaraderie displayed by their friends who helped them in various ways to achieve their goal.

The second issue is transparency. Believe it or not, there have been folk who have claimed Rounds falsely. I have a personal tale to relate about this but it's not something I am prepared to go into on the Forum. Next time you see me, if you are interested, I'll tell you the tale.

So a solo round will not qualify you for membership of the Club.

What I often say to those who are interested in a solo round is, why not have a go at a trad BG, enjoy that experience with a collection of supporters. Then, if the solo bug is still biting, do a solo.

Martin Stone did his solo winter round after having done a trad round in summer as an example.

Of course, if membership of the BG 24 Hour Club is of no importance, contenders can do whatever they feel like doing on their own terms.

Hope that helps.

Morgan
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Cheers, fair enough.

To be honest at the moment it's the winter rounds which are appealing, due to racing on the fells and especially the ultras I just can't seem to fit in a round, so winter rounds fit in easier. In winter I'd rather not ask people to be out with me, 1) you're asking a lot of people and 2) it's an additional person who risks injury which would prevent a round being done.

At the moment the winter Paddy is my main aim but only if we get good conditions. We've had them over each of the last 2 winters so here's hoping.

Cheers, fair enou

At the moment the winter Paddy is my main aim but only if we get good conditions. We've had them over each of the last 2 winters so here's hoping.
    And you have done it in summer haven't you, so your plan sits with Martin's approach to his winter BG.

I have his Winter solo unsupported Paddy schedule somewhere.

PM me if you'd like a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    Believe it or not, there have been folk who have claimed Rounds falsely.
    I can believe that, many people live sad, Walter Mitty like lives
    Just can't understand why, they always get found out
    Hills and Guinness!

Cheers, fair enough.

In winter I'd rather not ask people to be out with me, 1) you're asking a lot of people and 2) it's an additional person who risks injury which would prevent a round being done.
    Iain, my experience last Winter was that there were a lot of people who were keen to get out on the hills - they seemed to prefer it to the alternative of the last weekend's shopping before xmas. I would not have started if I hadn't considered the conditions safe enough and everyone knew that the final decision would be made about an hour before the planned start time.

I set a minimum of 3 support on each leg - I didn't want anyone out on their own and if one was struggling or injured we could split to two pairs. Legs 1, 2 and 3 ended with just one supporter. Leg 5 ended with two because one of them couldn't last the pace on the road so he dropped off and jogged in - no need to pair up as we were safely off the hills by then.

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    Iain

.....many contenders speak of the best part of their Round being the support.
    Morgan
    Nothing beats a bacon and egg breakfast at Dunmail by the support team, with Wynn in charge!

Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Nothing beats a bacon and egg breakfast at Dunmail by the support team, with Wynn in charge!

Yiannis
    Something I have yet to experience but there's time yet.

If the lemon drizzle cake is anything to go by..............nuff said.