Thread: new mountain marathon

new mountain marathon

http://www.highlandermountainmarathon.org.uk/

Don't know anything about this but looks interesting

Quote Originally Posted by jackie View Post
    http://www.highlandermountainmarathon.org.uk/

Don't know anything about this but looks interesting
    The Marathon will take place this year within 1 hour's travel of Inverness and 4 hours' travel from Edinburgh and Glasgow. The Competition takes place in a remote and moutainous area where the bulk of the ground is rough hillground and moorland with some intricate contour detail. In view of the time of year however, the courses will avoid the highest sumits and competitors are unlikely to find themselves exceeding a height of 700 metres.

Sounds a bit tame to me

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    The Marathon will take place this year within 1 hour's travel of Inverness and 4 hours' travel from Edinburgh and Glasgow. The Competition takes place in a remote and moutainous area where the bulk of the ground is rough hillground and moorland with some intricate contour detail. In view of the time of year however, the courses will avoid the highest sumits and competitors are unlikely to find themselves exceeding a height of 700 metres.

Sounds a bit tame to me

Bill
    thats exactly what I thought Bill. Now a mountain maraton in March over the tops of the cairngorms - that would be interesting.

That's what I thought. Petty it isn't over the tops.

Just got some Kahtoola crampons and a light weight ski mountaineering axe for some winter running, but winter just hasn't arrived in Snowdonia this year.

Try and get to the highlands at the next opportunity.

Winter conditions never last long south of the border you might struggle to use your Kahtoolas in wales.
    I've only managed to get out in snow twice this winter and each time within 24 hours it had melted
    Just got some Kahtoolas myself may go up to Scotland next week to use them!
    Then again the Bowland bats are coming to the lakes on Friday they always bring snow

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    That's what I thought. Petty it isn't over the tops.

Just got some Kahtoola crampons and a light weight ski mountaineering axe for some winter running, but winter just hasn't arrived in Snowdonia this year.

Try and get to the highlands at the next opportunity.

Anyone else here remember the first Rock&Run MM? I think it was 1988, end of March, starting in Langdale. I was a novice so only did the D class, but even we were running on snow near the top of Scafell Pike. I seem to remember a report that one elite pair were following a set of footprints and when they caught up found the owners were using axe and crampons! The drop-out rate on this event was the highest I have ever seen in an MM - the mid-camp seemed to have only a handfull of tents.

The following year I believe R&R tried to organise the event on Skye, but backed down after opposition by the mountaineering establishment. They also changed the date to June, where it remained, eventually turning into the LAMM. Good to see someone trying a March event again - shame I can't make it this year.

I didn't make the first one but was in the Galloway and Mamore ones, 89 & 90? I remember they were trying to organise one on Skye that would have been great, control point on top of the inn pin.

I suppose, putting aside the insurance for events like these, the amount of people able to take part would be greatly reduced and the event has to at least break even, if its being used by a larger company for advertising, or even make money if its a private run event.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    Anyone else here remember the first Rock&Run MM? I think it was 1988, end of March, starting in Langdale. I was a novice so only did the D class, but even we were running on snow near the top of Scafell Pike. I seem to remember a report that one elite pair were following a set of footprints and when they caught up found the owners were using axe and crampons! The drop-out rate on this event was the highest I have ever seen in an MM - the mid-camp seemed to have only a handfull of tents.

The following year I believe R&R tried to organise the event on Skye, but backed down after opposition by the mountaineering establishment. They also changed the date to June, where it remained, eventually turning into the LAMM. Good to see someone trying a March event again - shame I can't make it this year.