running races that is, one-day events

anyone know of any?

Feet in the Cowclaps

Re: Races in swiss alps?

This, this and this.

......to name but a few.

ta for that

got a mate living in lausanne and was thinking I could kill two birds ...

have you competed in any of those FitC? Did you get any altitude effects?
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 26-05-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Feet in the Cowclaps

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    have you competed in any of those FitC?
    Not yet! I keep meaning to do the Sierre-Zinal, but can never manage to organise my holidays around it. It does get pretty crowded though I hear if you're not up at the sharp end.
    The only race I've done in Switzerland is the 'Course de l'Escalade', an evening race in December around the old part of Geneva. It was in the mid-1990's....and good fun!

I can recommend the Junfrau Marathon which I have been lucky enough to have been able to have done 3 times. The race is full marathon distance which starts in Interlaken and finishes at the foot of the Eiger North face. Whilst not a full off road mountain race (the first few miles fon Interlaken are on the road) although most of the race is off road on good tracks and paths and the scenery on the final section where the route climbs from Lauterbrunen to Wengen and upwards to the finish is simply stunning.Whilst the race gets full up for locals they usually keep places open for foreign runners. Check out their website. Fantastic race !

Master

theres the matterhornlauf and the ultra trail of mont blanc. davos and aletsch marathons. Theres well loads probably that we dont even hear about
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
    I can recommend the Junfrau Marathon which I have been lucky enough to have been able to have done 3 times. The race is full marathon distance which starts in Interlaken and finishes at the foot of the Eiger North face. Whilst not a full off road mountain race (the first few miles fon Interlaken are on the road) although most of the race is off road on good tracks and paths and the scenery on the final section where the route climbs from Lauterbrunen to Wengen and upwards to the finish is simply stunning.Whilst the race gets full up for locals they usually keep places open for foreign runners. Check out their website. Fantastic race !
    crikey, I've taken the train from Lauterbrunnen up to Wengen and walked on up to the Eiger. Not much down on that route

the Jungfrau is an fantastic event - it is superbly organised with great support - as you can imagine finishing under the Eiger wall is spectacular - and a cold beer admiring the views at the end lives long in the memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Rocs View Post
    the Jungfrau is an fantastic event - it is superbly organised with great support - as you can imagine finishing under the Eiger wall is spectacular - and a cold beer admiring the views at the end lives long in the memory.
    can imagine. Is it uphill all the way then?

The initial part of the race from Interlaken and on up to Lauterbrunnen is relatively flat climbing though all of the way and there is a danger of going off too fast and getting carried away on this section which is exactly what I did the first time I did it. The climb begins proper just after Lauterbrunnen and is like hitting a brick wall as it winds its way up to Wengen, this section is steep and goes on and on. There is something like 7000ft of climb in the last 10 miles and the last few miles where the route climbs a glacial morrain is just wonderfull with the Eiger Monch and Jungfrau for company. There is some downhill, about a mile or so as you decend from the highest point and down to Kleinne Shediegg and the finish . My best time is 4 hrs 19 mins whichwas acheived the second time of running after learning the lessons from the first year. The trick is not to go off too fast and leave something in the legs for the mega-climb. The organisation is superb and the crowds of spectatators especially lining the streets in Lauterbrunnen and Wengen are great. Much recommended.