Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Bolts on Broad Stand

Bobert

Re: Bolts on Broad Stand

Quote Originally Posted by FellMonster View Post
    But would there be as much fuss if they were bolted?
    If it were against the traditional ethics of that climbing ground then yes, most definitely. If i walked up to Froggatt edge and bolted Beau Geste then there would be an almighty shit storm on a scale that would far exceed the minor shit shower that followed the bolting of broadstand.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Any hard wear placed on broad stand would be chopped within hours..it is a scramble/easy climb. There is no argument at all for changing its status from that. If hardwear was placed there then we'd also see hardwear on the numerous other easy yet exposed scrambles throughout the UK.
    I've done it up and down in all conditions except snow. I was being ironic and agree with you totally.
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    A painted marker usually with a number to mark the route you are on may be ok but a cairn unless on a summit or at a major path junction and marked on a map is not. They don't tell you what route/path you are on or aid navigation unless you know where you are. One of the reasons they fly rock in to make paths in the peak/Wales/Lakes etc is because by using stone from the location adds hugely to erosion. By making a cairn you are taking rock from where it should be to some where it shouldn't, it also attacts people who don't know where they are to follow blindly a pile of stones that can't possibly tell them where they are, this also causes erosion.
    I agree with all your points. I don't think we need any new cairns for sure.

Using this kind of logic, however, much of the current erosion in the lakes is actually the fault of Alfred Wainright and Bob Graham (or at least those who publicise and encourage)
    I'd agree totally, certainly on the wainright front. In the early days there wasn't the level of spare time of the public access there is today so the impact wasn't as bad as it is today. Sign of the times I'm afraid but we can help control the impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    St Kilda's Stac Lee, which has or had a peg
    I'd take it out, make it harder for anyone going up there to do it
    Right-o I'll take my chisel

But have a feeling it's already gone
    Gone peakbagging

FellMonster

I'd imagine the BGR aint far behind Ian.....I mean it's had Askwith's book dedictaed to it, usually several pages in each and every FRA mag and there's ample willing helpers on here......some of the same people who liked frowned at the concept of 500+ runners running over the same route once a year!

FellMonster

Quote Originally Posted by Guick Dotto View Post
    I've done it up and down in all conditions except snow. I was being ironic and agree with you totally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    If it were against the traditional ethics of that climbing ground then yes, most definitely. If i walked up to Froggatt edge and bolted Beau Geste then there would be an almighty shit storm on a scale that would far exceed the minor shit shower that followed the bolting of broadstand.
    I shall add you both to my ever growing list of heroes. My son can fold his tongue into an amusing shape, so you are in good company.

A shit storm sounds an interesting concept.

A shit storm sounds an interesting concept.
    I'll give you a call next time my brother-in-law is muck spreading. Then you can buy me a pint.

Bolts, ropes, paint, cairns and reflective tape having an adverse effect on others? Geez, if thats the total of your earthly concerns combined, count yourself fortunate....I mean.......
    Sorry I thought this discussion was about bolts on Broad Stand I thought I'd keep my concerns relevant to that

Its about being considerate to others, bplts on Broad Stand will affect other outdoor groups including some who would be/were extremely upset by their placement.

Next time I'm up a mountain, I'll add a big stone or two to the nearest cairn in honour of you....I might even take some reflective tape to make a few arrows
    I'm honored FellMonster that you would do such a thing for me.

Others would think that its just a wind up but I can see you're being sincere
    Last edited by Baggins; 31-07-2009 at 03:06 PM.
    Bill

FellMonster

Quote Originally Posted by Guick Dotto View Post
    I'll give you a call next time my brother-in-law is muck spreading. Then you can buy me a pint.
    If he's spreading shit then I'm interested.....if it's just plain old muck then perhaps less so. Thanks for thinking of me though

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Sorry I thought this discussion was about bolts on Broad Stand I thought I'd keep my concerns relevant to that

Its about being considerate to others, bplts on Broad Stand will affect other outdoor groups including some who would be/were extremely upset by their placement.

I'm honored FellMonster that you would do such a thing for me.

Others would think that its just a wind up but I can see you're being sincere
    I can assure you I am perfectly sincere and I shall aim to someone with me (I don't actually have "friends") to bear witness to the fact that it has been done in tribute to your good self. I'll even try to have a camera with me.

I find it amusing that some people would be so upset by the placement of a bolt and or bolt hole on a rock. They should seek counselling