Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is getting silly

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

This is getting silly

Seven months on and my knee is still buggered from ITB! Very frustrating. Despite doing my exercises (admittedly I could do more frequently) and resting, I'm still having problems. Odd, pain free periods, but just as I dare to hope, I'll get a niggle.

Questions for you:

Though I'm resting, I still - out of habit - bound upstairs two at a time; walk the dog and feel niggles when I come down hills...should rest be complete? Even avoiding trivial things like this?

Beginning to think all the driving I do don't help. Whether having my leg in an awkward position when on cruise, or moving my foot onto and off the throttle, I very often get the pains across my kneecap. Any reports of lots of driving aggravating knee injuries? If so, and given driving is crrucial to my job, what can I do?

Yours, in despair...
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Re: This is getting silly

Mine has been peeing me off lately, you begin to think that its just never going to go away.

I havent got a clue whether doing general stuff like racing up the stairs is making it worse but bloody ITB just takes over your life.

You live with it 24/7, even sat here now....not even moving, not in an strange position to do anything and my ITBs and Ligaments are killing - i know ive done a race tonight so that will be one of the reasons for the pain but its like this day in day out.

I think people think we are being right sofies (no pun with the name) saying ouch my knees hurts but i hope everyone doesnt think like that because it just ruins your life.

What can we do eh softie....just become fat slobs....maybe we could get a mobility scooter each?

I don't know what exercises you've been doing, but I found a combination of:
    1) lying on a tennis ball to stretch the ITB
    2) doing wall-sits to strengthen the VMO quad muscle
    soon sorted out the patellar misalignment that was causing the knee pain that sounds like yours (e.g. I had pain just lifting my foot slightly off the accelerator in the car).

Quote Originally Posted by Man from Del Monte View Post
    Cheers for this, interested in the anti-inflammatories (give me drugs!!). Not sure about the stretching but not to point of pain. I've been...

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    I don't know what exercises you've been doing, but I found a combination of:
    1) lying on a tennis ball to stretch the ITB
    2) doing wall-sits to strengthen the VMO quad muscle
    soon sorted out the patellar misalignment that was causing the knee pain that sounds like yours (e.g. I had pain just lifting my foot slightly off the accelerator in the car).
    ...using a scaffolding pole rather than a tennis ball: starting at my knee then rolling up (or down?) it. It kills!! And leaves a bruised feelingthe next day. Subscribe as I do to the no pain no gain theory, I thought this was a good thing?

Otherwise, got some surgical rubber which I tie round my feet (hello!) and sidestep down the hall there and back a few times.

Also lie on my side, legs together, slightly bent, then raise the uppermost keeping the bend, extend the leg in the air, hold, bring back to bent and then lower.
    All done very s l o o o o o w l y.

Do some squats with weights from time to time to. Aiming to strengthen my quads like your wall sits. Might try these instead though, as more likely to do more often.

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Cheers for this, interested in the anti-inflammatories (give me drugs!!). Not sure about the stretching but not to point of pain. I've been...

...using a scaffolding pole rather than a tennis ball: starting at my knee then rolling up (or down?) it. It kills!! And leaves a bruised feelingthe next day. Subscribe as I do to the no pain no gain theory, I thought this was a good thing?

Otherwise, got some surgical rubber which I tie round my feet (hello!) and sidestep down the hall there and back a few times.

Also lie on my side, legs together, slightly bent, then raise the uppermost keeping the bend, extend the leg in the air, hold, bring back to bent and then lower.

Do some squats with weights from time to time to. Aiming to strengthen my quads like your wall sits. Might try these instead though, as more likely to do more often.

I have the band for sidestepping as well, and also i do 'the clam' where you lie on your side.
    Theres no problem when lieing on my right side but when im on my left im utterly cramp at it and cant raise my leg very high and i fatigue quickly.

I also have this other one where i sit on the end of my bed or the dining room table and extend my leg on at a time pushing my foot out.

Also.....lie on your back.....raise your bum and inch off the floor and knees together and arms crossed over your chest....and lift each leg one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    I have the band for sidestepping as well, and also i do 'the clam' where you lie on your side.
    Theres no problem when lieing on my right side but when im on my left im utterly cramp at it and cant raise my leg very high and i fatigue quickly.

I also have this other one where i sit on the end of my bed or the dining room table and extend my leg on at a time pushing my foot out.

Also.....lie on your back.....raise your bum and inch off the floor and knees together and arms crossed over your chest....and lift each leg one at a time.
    Cheers dude. Will start making more time for these I reckon.

Like the idea of you 'doing the clam' down your local watering hole!!

Do the monkey with me

A saffolding pole! are you crazy.

Trust me buy one of these:

http://www.bizrate.co.uk/fitnessequi...748170109.html

Lying on your side with the roller on the IT band just below the hip, use your arms to roll down to your knee. Initially take the weight off by pushing from the arms and apply weight as it releases. You will save 100's of £ in physio sessions. This got me through the my London marathon training and is now an integral part of my training.

The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

Seven months on and my knee is still buggered from ITB! Very frustrating.

Though I'm resting, I still - out of habit - bound upstairs two at a time; walk the dog and feel niggles when I come down hills...should rest be complete? Even avoiding trivial things like this?
    I'm in exactly the same boat ss (though i've only been out for 3 months.)

Determined to try and get something positive from this enforced long term injury lay off however, i've thrown myself into swimming. I've been knocking out a mile of front crawl 5 days a week now for the last 12weeks and i've actually become quite a strong swimmer.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Scott View Post
    A saffolding pole! are you crazy.
    It's only a little one!

I did see a circular length of foam in a shop recently (think it was a kids thing rather than a professional physio thing) - was only a fivcer or so too. Maybe I should have got it?

I just thought the harder scaffolding pole would stretch it out better, what with their being less give in it and all.