Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This is getting silly

Re: This is getting silly

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert View Post
    I'm in exactly the same boat ss (though i've only been out for 3 months.)

Determined to try and get something positive from this enforced long term injury lay off however, i've thrown myself into swimming. I've been knocking out a mile of front crawl 5 days a week now for the last 12weeks and i've actually become quite a strong swimmer.
    How goes the technique Danbert?
    Hoping that the book recommendation (of 2000 and whenever) did the trick.......I'm always, always injured and use "Total Immersion" as a bit of a swimming reference book........I sooooooo need something to focus on and it has made my strokes per length come down considerably!
    The race is long and in the end, it's only with yourself.......

15 months and counting, Im back racing roads and fells short distance and its no better or worse than when I was resting for monthly periods. It just has not gone away and its just a niggle nowadays, it hurts when I drive and sit at my desk with legs folded back. it especially hurts when driving home from a race as soon as I get in the car. Its usually just sore the next few days then I'm right again.

Even when it was at its worst I still could have ran I just backed off tbh I wish I had not.

It feels the worst when I have raced and then not run for a period of 5 days to a week it just feels like everything is tightening up.

I have a foam roller, and I am doing plenty of gym work strengthening and stretching. I find that going to races has helped with more stretching because the hour before can be spent stretching whereas I would not normally have spent as long stretching had I been at home, does that make sense?

There could be something in saying that running may get the weakened muscles stronger again if that makes sense.

No help at all and this is probably the reason that its probably still niggling after so long, but hey I think the longest period I went without running was about 5 months and it had not gone. Im no better or no worse, running is just back in my life. Yours could be a lot worse than mine though.

I know al is back running, has this made it worse, better or left it the same??

Jamie
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 07-06-2009 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    15 months and counting, Im back racing roads and fells short distance and its no better or worse than when I was resting for monthly periods. It just has not gone away and its just a niggle nowadays, it hurts when I drive and sit at my desk with legs folded back. it especially hurts when driving home from a race as soon as I get in the car. Its usually just sore the next few days then I'm right again.

Even when it was at its worst I still could have ran I just backed off tbh I wish I had not.

It feels the worst when I have raced and then not run for a period of 5 days to a week it just feels like everything is tightening up.

I have a foam roller, and I am doing plenty of gym work strengthening and stretching. I find that going to races has helped with more stretching because the hour before can be spent stretching whereas I would not normally have spent as long stretching had I been at home, does that make sense?

There could be something in saying that running may get the weakened muscles stronger again if that makes sense.

No help at all and this is probably the reason that its probably still niggling after so long, but hey I think the longest period I went without running was about 5 months and it had not gone. Im no better or no worse, running is just back in my life. Yours could be a lot worse than mine though.

I know al is back running, has this made it worse, better or left it the same??

Jamie
    Well i still dont train, but just race as and when i can maybe once or twice a month.

My ITB is neither getting worse or better as with you, but i get some bad pain with my medial collateral ligaments on the inside of my knees.

I dont know whether i should maybe go for some short training runs a couple of times a week now, i'll be able to tell whether it makes it any worse or whether i can get away with it.

I just had a thought, has anybody who has suffered from ITB, ever gone away 100% and never come back?

i did recently get injured during a marathon, fininshed it all the same and now just starting to tick over hoping that all the injurys of the last 2 years are behind me!
    Started going back to the gym so alteranate between gym and run every other day, it seems to be working.. just did a short speedwork session yesterday, no ill side effects.. so here's for once hoping it stays good.
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    I just had a thought, has anybody who has suffered from ITB, ever gone away 100% and never come back?
    Yeah, me. Had it originally in 2002. Rested for about 4 months, strengthened it etc. and was fine for 6 years!!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Don't drive. Helicopter, it's the way forwards (or upwards, sideways and backwards)
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    How goes the technique Danbert?
    Hoping that the book recommendation (of 2000 and whenever) did the trick.......I'm always, always injured and use "Total Immersion" as a bit of a swimming reference book........I sooooooo need something to focus on and it has made my strokes per length come down considerably!
    The technique is improving Chugger - Total Immersion was a good recommendation too.

I'd obviously prefer to be running but my personal view is that all this swimming that i'm doing is going to do more for my fitness (and running fitness) than sitting on the sofa eating cake, but obviously not as useful for running as running.

Sorry to hear you're injured again. You and I spend too much time out injured.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

I'll tell thee what, ma knees are reet bad today.

Can't understand why Amex has lost his sex drive (see smoking thread)
    Hills and Guinness!

Super Moderator

Not easy being a young tyro Al
    Poacher turned game-keeper