Re: Welsh 3000s trouble

Quote Originally Posted by The Piglit View Post
    Anybody else seen this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8087297.stm

Hope it all turns out OK
    Check the 1000m race thread. I was there it may be the new OMM
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

s'nothin' new. way back in '88 the race was stopped at pen y pass because of 100 mph winds! just an ordinary june!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    s'nothin' new. way back in '88 the race was stopped at pen y pass because of 100 mph winds! just an ordinary june!!
    Your right as soon as the beeb get hold of a story it's the end of the world,i think people just have to be sensible and decide if they can carry on or not,i jacked in becuase i felt it was the right thing to do,and pete's eats sounded a better option than going over the glyders

Another national press report on fell runners being caught up on the mountains and having to be ' found or rescued ' . Whatever the truth of the full story the FRA and race organisers need to get together soon to discuss this. This follows the Karrimor incident last year. It may be alright for fell running fanatics to think they can come on this forum and say ' what was the fuss about ' but they have to realise that already stretched rescue services are involved here and the implications of having more of these races going wrong may have a long term consequence for fell running in general.

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by longstreet View Post
    It may be alright for fell running fanatics to think they can come on this forum
    That would be the, er, fellrunning forum then?

Glad all back and safe despite the conditions. Another 'minor' media frenzy there - just wait til the Daily Mail gets a hold of the story and starts to tut and point fingers!

Below is the BBC news report following information from the RAF
    Please do not try to trivialise this important issue. The fell running fraternity need to consider the implications - not merely say ' I can look after myself so all is fine'

"All the people who went missing in bad weather during a Snowdonia fell race have been found, RAF rescue teams say.

Eight people were airlifted to hospital and another 25 people were helped to safety during the day.

Two people remained unaccounted for some time but they were finally located late on Saturday.

The annual, 22-mile Welsh 1,000m Peaks Race involved 245 competitors and had been due to finish on the summit of Snowdon, but was later abandoned.

Mountain rescue teams and the RAF were involved in the search in the Carneddau mountains, near Bethesda, from about 1500 BST.

The race involves teams of runners and mountaineers from clubs and the armed services. A soldier died in a 500ft fall while competing in the race in 2007. "

Master

Quote Originally Posted by longstreet View Post
    Below is the BBC news report following information from the RAF
    Please do not try to trivialise this important issue. The fell running fraternity need to consider the implications - not merely say ' I can look after myself so all is fine'

"All the people who went missing in bad weather during a Snowdonia fell race have been found, RAF rescue teams say.

Eight people were airlifted to hospital and another 25 people were helped to safety during the day.

Two people remained unaccounted for some time but they were finally located late on Saturday.

The annual, 22-mile Welsh 1,000m Peaks Race involved 245 competitors and had been due to finish on the summit of Snowdon, but was later abandoned.

Mountain rescue teams and the RAF were involved in the search in the Carneddau mountains, near Bethesda, from about 1500 BST.

The race involves teams of runners and mountaineers from clubs and the armed services. A soldier died in a 500ft fall while competing in the race in 2007. "
    No offence but can you pee off. Did you know that 6 of these people that were airlifted were not competitors but just ill equipped walkers. Didnt know that did you. Cos you are up on your high horse relying on the BBC for facts
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before