Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner - No Ups & Downs

Re: Beginner - No Ups & Downs

thof - no, not a member of any club at the moment

I have thought about entering one up north, maybe next year ... I am a notherner by birth and upbringing so it'd be a homecoming...

Joining a Peaks club is probably an ideal way for you to get into it though - especially gaining the confidence with navigation, terrain etc.

I had done a fair bit of winter fell-walking and an advanced navigation course, but I'm not totally sure how I'd fare in a race if the weather really came in: there's a difference between walking, when you're warm and dry and have time to moon about and take everything in; and when you're running in a vest and blowing snot all over the place and just want to keep going rather than keep checking the map ...

Obviously, it's a lot more of an issue in long races than the shorter ones.

Doing recces / training runs with more experienced runners is probably the way to go.

Thof seriously don't worry too much - just get into the hills and run (rather than walk) tracks you already know. Bob's your uncle, you're fell running. To get good at it do it more and more often

Competing in fell races on the other hand is a different thing from running in the hills. A bit of a generalisation but races are more dangerous because of the massive inclination to sprint down steep boulder strewn slopes but at the same time less dangerous in that they're easier to navigate and harder to get in trouble on (checkpoints and marshalls etc).

Fell running for solitude, beauty and adventure. Fell racing for full blown body cramps, brutal crashes, exhaustion and unbelievable camaradery of sharing a frigging tough but cracking sport together.

Hi ZootHornRollo and Stolly

Thanks for your input, (hope you both had a good day).

My main aim is to compete in races, though this is obivoulsy a long term aim. I'm pretty competitive in nature so its bound to happen sooner or later, so i might as well accept it. The only motivation that gets me running on my own at night is seeing it as training for the next race, if i didnt run races i doubt i'd run at all.

I ran the London marathon this year and the hardest part of that was having to stop due to people randomly stopping in front of me, well to be honest the stopping wasnt difficult, it was more the getting started again which was the issue. Therefore the idea of having to stop and check my map does thrill me, though if its fell run and take a map, or dont fell run, its a no brainer really :-)

I'm now going to find myself a club in the peaks and workout my carbon foot print in getting there once every month or so.

ZootHornRollo, you dont have to worry about racing in the bad weather, surely the bad weather coming in is just a way of motivating you not to let the person in front get too far ahead! :-)

Are you guys pure Fell runners or do you take part in the usual road running events too?

Have a good evening all!

I wouldn't let navigation bother you at all if you're just starting, there are loads of fell races that require no navigation at all because they're well marked out and/or have marshalls ready to point you in the right direction. If you're already capable of running a marathon you won't find yourself hanging way off the back of the pack (as is always a possiblity for myself) so there will be a trail of people to follow anyway. Easiest way is to just get straight in there and sign up for a few races as I did myself this year. Everyone is very friendly and encouraging, it's far nicer than road running!

Quote Originally Posted by thof View Post
    Hi ZootHornRollo and Stolly

The only motivation that gets me running on my own at night is seeing it as training for the next race, if i didnt run races i doubt i'd run at all.
    I feel sorry for you . I run the odd race as 'training' for long solo missions into the hills!

Quote Originally Posted by thof View Post
    I'm now going to find myself a club in the peaks and workout my carbon foot print in getting there once every month or so.

Hi Thof

I know of at least one Darkpeaker who lives in London. maybe he will car share but I'm not sure how often he comes up.

Hi thof
    My daughter lived at Tring for a time and they have a running club that takes part in the FRA relay so that could be your nearest club, not too far away you have the Chiltern Hills and they are good for fell running and I liked run around Tring Park, you do have some lovely country down there( not as good as Yorkshire) I do love races, but like Stolly I love just running, it so natural, hope you get going soon.
    Stephen Batley Skyrac AC,
    Specific,Measurable,Attainable,Relevant and Time-Bound

There's normally a map at the start of races, how good are you at reading the lie of the land? Or you could do what I do and make sure you never get fast enough that you trouble the front end and have nobody to follow. Seriously though, in my experience in the mid-pack of popular shorter/middling races in say the Peak, you'll have no bother navigating.

actually stolly and sloth speak sense - tis best to just get in there

I went in off the deep end a bit with two ALs early in the season so I did a bit of prep to make sure I was ready for it all

Hi All

Sorry for the delay in responding, i've been going through the pain of changing ISPs, so i was consiquently left in "no internet" land for a few days.

Just want to say thanks to all of you for posting your thoughts.

Hope your all well

Tom