Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Beginner - No Ups & Downs

Re: Beginner - No Ups & Downs

Only Me (again)

Disclaimer: I imagine that this question as already been asked, i searched for forum and failed to find the answer, which most likely indicates my poor search ability.

The question: Having utilised the masterful Google now for a good few days, I'm having trouble finding a fell running shoe in a size 14. I have noticed that inov-8 sell trail running shoes in a 14, but it appears no fell running shoes are available in the aforementioned size.

Assuming that someone must have been in a similar situation. I figured somone would be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your time folks!

I'm not trying to be silly here - but if there's no alternative, you might consider running in these astroturf shoes - look like they have a better tread than the size 14 trail running alternative (Inov8 Terrocs) - no idea what they'd be like to run in though.

http://www.walktall.co.uk/nike-brlar...lo-p-3355.html

or for thick mud, maybe conventional turf football boots? Given my very limited fell running experience, I'm happy for someone to point out why this would be a stupid idea. In my school days football boots just had a few round studs which I remember were lethal on the changing room floor (any therefore wouldn't be much use on rock?), but nowadays there seems to be all sorts of molded sole type - some of which look very similar to the Adidas Swoop sole.
    Last edited by Skids; 29-06-2009 at 01:22 PM.

thof, if you're shopping for fell or trail shoes online, be mindful it can be a lengthy process and end up no cheaper: I ended up sending back a pair of Mizuno Wave Harriers that were too small, lost the initial P&P (not included in refund) and had to pay P&P on the return. Fell shoes can be sized trickily, they're often narrow.

I came to the conclusion that shopping for shoes is best done in person and I try and support a small independent shop while doing it (Needle, LakesRunner, PB etc).

Hi Skids and ZootHornRollo,

This is the situation, i have no problem shopping locally for fell running shoes, the main issue is that i'm a size UK14 and my personal experience is that all shops only stock upto a 12 for normal trainers, and any shop which has stocked proper fell running trainers have looked at me like i have webbed feet when i say that i need it in a 14.

So at the moment I've taken to looking online for reviews and inspiration when it comes down to fell running shoes which are in a 14 in the hope that when i find something that is fit for purpose and is produced in a size which will fit, i can either order a few pairs online (difference sizes) or go to a physical shop and try them on.

Finding trainers / smart shoes usually presents issues, finding a piar of suitable fell running trainers is proving nearly impossible. But i'm not giving up as this is something i really want to take up as a sport.

Ideally i want to progress to long distance runs within the next 8-12 months, so i'd like a trainer which is suitable for both short and long runs :-)

I'll let you all know when i find this magical trainer!

Hope your all well.

Tom

P.S hope that all makes sense.

have a look in the Equipment bit, there's a chap who hangs about a bit there called Inov8 Insider - who is exactly that - who might be able to help you out on the size 14 thing.

Quote Originally Posted by thof View Post
    i look forward to seeing the OSExplore Maps,
    Thof, have a look at my routes on OS Explore. Hopefully this link will work. Click on "see all". The routes are a bit of a mish mash, as I started playing with OS Explore before I had any ideas about using it in this way, and I can't seem to delete any. At least all the paths I have used are passable. Ideally you need to work out these routes on the Explorer 1:25000 map to go out and run them. You'll find a few places where I've shown a route and none is mapped - there is generally a path there, or it's open runnable land, but with the OS Explore at 1:50000, the line as wide as it is and the high density of paths in certain places you'll need to keep your wits about you. These routes are only a tiny fraction of what is possible in the north Chilterns.

Quote Originally Posted by thof View Post
    I was thinking of either Tring Runners or North Herts Road Runners. However Tring is only about 30 miles away and actually mentions fell running on their website (being an IT person, websites obvioulsy play a big part in my decision making process)

My general plan is to start in August as i cant really commit to every wednesday before then.
    Feel free to join us at Tring any time. This is the time of year to do it, before the evenings get dark and we get the head torches out - don't wait until August if you can help it.
    Still "Afloat in the stone heavings of emptiness"

How about these?

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ADI3251/?id=364

Adidas Swoops - and they seem to have size 14 1/2 in stock (apparently adidas sizes are small, so you want to go up half a size anyway). They may be described as trail running shoes, but because of the quite agressive sole, I think most people consider them to be more of a fell shoe, but quite a comfy one, so fine for longer runs too. You'll probably find more about them elsewhere on these forums.

May be worth a try, for the sake of risking having to fork out the return postage - I almost got a pair of these when recently looking for my first pair of fell shoes, but my problem (though clearly not as tricky as yours!) is that my feet are very wide with a high instep, and it seems that most fell running shoes are pretty narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
    Thof, have a look at my routes on OS Explore. Hopefully this link will work. Click on "see all". The routes are a bit of a mish mash, as I started playing with OS Explore before I had any ideas about using it in this way, and I can't seem to delete any. At least all the paths I have used are passable. Ideally you need to work out these routes on the Explorer 1:25000 map to go out and run them. You'll find a few places where I've shown a route and none is mapped - there is generally a path there, or it's open runnable land, but with the OS Explore at 1:50000, the line as wide as it is and the high density of paths in certain places you'll need to keep your wits about you. These routes are only a tiny fraction of what is possible in the north Chilterns.

Feel free to join us at Tring any time. This is the time of year to do it, before the evenings get dark and we get the head torches out - don't wait until August if you can help it.
    Stevie, You are a STAR! thank you very much!

The only reason that i'm waiting until august is that i'm going on holiday in a week until the end of july. When i turn up at Tring in early August, i;ll make my self known! :-)

Thanks Skids ( Your also a star) for the link, they look like a great idea. I'll grab a pair of 14 1/2 and give them a whirl, if all failes P&P isnt too much of a hit :-)

Thanks for everyones input!

Just need to sort out the rest of my equipment now :-) But dont worry, the rest wont involve so many questions!

Good night everyone

Incombe hole below Steps Hill, west of Ivinghoe Beacon, is a good slope; I've been up and down it a few times

Funnily enough I rarely run up that slope, always take the Ridgeway path up around the lip. I sometimes take on the steep side of Ivinghoe Beacon but only because it's a logical route when climbing from the Icknield Way below.

The other well known "wall" type of slope around here is the steep side of Coombe Hill, below the monument. The Coombe Hill race goes up it, and so do I sometimes. Now that they've opened up Beacon Hill on the Chequers estate that is a good stiff climb, comparable to Incombe Hole. I have looked down on Red Kites on Beacon Hill, barely metres below me, scouring the slope for prey.
    Still "Afloat in the stone heavings of emptiness"