Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Makes you proud to be British

Re: Makes you proud to be Brit

Just highlights the dangers of Proportional Representation over First Past the Post, doesn't it?

More democratic....yes
    Fairer....yes
    More dangerous....yes

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post
    Just highlights the dangers of Proportional Representation over First Past the Post, doesn't it?

More democratic....yes
    Fairer....yes
    More dangerous....yes
    Yes mate i fully agree
    Theres a saying i always go by

A little knowledge is dangerous. How true in this case.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    You would have to be pretty vacant minded to even think of voting for the bnp.
    They have neither a proper manifesto or any idea about running our country.

BUT
    Now the thing they have in there favour is that the current lot who are running the system have f./,..d up BIG time thus allowing voters to start to turn to the minority parties. SO BNP becomes somewhere to TURN to if you like.
    Ive talked to lads here who are voting BNP and yes its a different probably slightly uneducated view that are voting for them.
    But you cannot change democracy and if democracy means people will or are going to vote BNP then so be it.
    Perhaps this is the way for the main parties to get there house in order.
    A kick up the arse if you like.
    Maybe but I would not like to risk it

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    I agree with a lot of the above, however if an election were called right now, that would make it more likely the BNP would get a stronger foothold domestically.

So far in my area where they have got council seats the councillors have been shown as inept or been given so little support from their main party that they have withered and died and not been re-lected. I would hope it would be the same if we ever got a BNP MP - but it is not something I would like to risk.
    With the voting system as it is for a General Election, I doubt that any other than the mainstream parties or the odd independant will get in.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    Maybe but I would not like to risk it
    so your happy to plod along like we are doing then?????????

Master

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    .... that we've contrived to send two neanderthal racist thugs to represent us in Europe. I just can't imagine who could bring themselves to vote for what is effectively a fascist group masquerading as a political party. Weren't any lessons learnt in the 1930's? Saying it's a "protest vote" is no excuse, it makes me feel physically sick.
    What and the other parties don't discriminate for and against certain groups? The labour party have spent the last 13 years making laws that discriminate for homosexuals over heterosexuals, women over men, non whites over whites, disabled over abled, etc etc.

About 8 years ago council workers were fining and confiscating scales from greengrocers who were selling in pounds and ounces. How many middle of the road non-racists spoke up for them? The BNP are only practising the same evil the other political parties have been practising for decades. They want to even up the score, by discriminating against those who have benefited from past discrimination.

In some respects voting for the BNP is more moral than voting for any of the main parties, because at least people can ascertain what the BNP stand for. No one knows what the Tories stand for, except "I'll make it up as I go along." The same goes for the other parties.

We live in a democracy and therefore it's a dog eat dog world. If you don't like it promote ideas that support freedom and individual rights. Only then can you deflect blame to others, until then you're as bad as the BNP.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    What and the other parties don't discriminate for and against certain groups? The labour party have spent the last 13 years making laws that discriminate for homosexuals over heterosexuals, women over men, non whites over whites, disabled over abled, etc etc.

About 8 years ago council workers were fining and confiscating scales from greengrocers who were selling in pounds and ounces. How many middle of the road non-racists spoke up for them? The BNP are only practising the same evil the other political parties have been practising for decades. They want to even up the score, by discriminating against those who have benefited from past discrimination.

In some respects voting for the BNP is more moral than voting for any of the main parties, because at least people can ascertain what the BNP stand for. No one knows what the Tories stand for, except "I'll make it up as I go along." The same goes for the other parties.

We live in a democracy and therefore it's a dog eat dog world. If you don't like it promote ideas that support freedom and individual rights. Only then can you deflect blame to others, until then you're as bad as the BNP.
    oooh - get her!

Working in the disability field I would agree with some of this, however active inclusion can only be achieved by positive descrimination and I suppose that is what the BNP will argue they are doing. However their stated overall purpose is to permanently remove or disadvantage some groups to benefit others not to "even the score". I would ask Chris though - who does stand for freedom and individual rights?

Para 1: This is about removing institutional homophobia, sexism, racism and disablism (is that a word), not discrimination. The way it has been done isn't always the best, but the intention is good.

Para 2: This is about the Rule of Laws, not race. Oh, and the old "eye for an eye" argument. Nice.

Para 3: How can voting for a party which bases its manifesto on race be more "moral" than voting for any party which doesn't?

Para 4: I agree. Anyone who didn't vote should be ashamed. Anyone who feels really strongly should get involved and promote their own agenda.

About 8 years ago council workers were fining and confiscating scales from greengrocers who were selling in pounds and ounces. How many middle of the road non-racists spoke up for them?
    Obviously someone did because "after years of wrangling between London and Brussels" they decided to scrap the scheme. I agree with what you are saying about the actual man on the market stall though - it was the council workers being jobsworths.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6988521.stm

As a side issue, why are we using the imperial system anyway? I thought my parents generation were meant to be the last ones that had to learn two systems? The metric system is much simpler to use.
    Last edited by TheHeathens; 09-06-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Good to see you back CL, I've missed your take on things but unfortunately this latest post doesn't do either you or your intelligence justice. To be honest it reads like a Daily Mail editorial..... you'll be talking about straight bananas next!

Marty has covered most of the bases.

I'm no fan of the current Government, but, as a white, heterosexual, able-bodied male, I don't feel discriminated against.

My biggest problem with the BNP is that senior members (including the leader) have been filmed showing their true colours singing racist songs and expressing offensively right-wing views. Although they may try to present a more palatable public facade, this showed what sort of people they really are and I can't believe people have forgotten/ignored this.

Also, campaigning on the grounds of "they've come over here and taken our jobs etc" has a long history (cheers Adolf!) and is a cheap and easy way to appeal to disgruntled masses. Jobs aren't being "taken" by immigrants etc but they are willing to do the jobs/hours that many "true Brits" won't.

Yes, it is only a couple of MEP's and a council seat here and there, but the Far Right is gaining throughout Europe and it's frankly terrifying. The mainstream parties are to blame to a certain extent with their scrabbling for the common middle ground but people can't be swayed by extreme blame/hate politics. We have to look at history and can't allow ourselves to go down that road yet again.

Finally, not being bothered to vote or "not voting as a protest" is the worst crime and has led to this sorry situation. Hopefully this will be the kick up the backside that people need and won't be replicated in the General Election.

Heathens... I agree, Imperial system is just mad.. come on FRA get with the times km / m!!