Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Highest most expensive slum?

Highest most expensive slum?

Prince Charles (bless 'im) famously called the old Snowdon summit cafe the highest slum in Britain. Well I think its replacement is the highest most expensive slum in Britain. Now I must own up to not having seen it in the flesh as yet, only on the box, but it's an eyesore which ever way you look at it. When I heard that it cost £8.5million I did indeed fall off my chair (yet another excuse for not quite winning again). The people who commission/design and put the money out for this sort of cr*p must live on Planet Numpty! £8.5 million for a concrete bunker with windows - what a load of baloney. I've no doubt most if not all the money came out of the public purse (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but either way whoever commissioned this monstrosity (sorry carbuncle), and accepted the quote should be dumped in Llyn Padarn with a heavy weight attached.
    Bah! Humbug!

Master

Re: Highest most expensive slu

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge the Elf View Post
    Prince Charles (bless 'im) famously called the old Snowdon summit cafe the highest slum in Britain. Well I think its replacement is the highest most expensive slum in Britain. Now I must own up to not having seen it in the flesh as yet, only on the box, but it's an eyesore which ever way you look at it. When I heard that it cost £8.5million I did indeed fall off my chair (yet another excuse for not quite winning again). The people who commission/design and put the money out for this sort of cr*p must live on Planet Numpty! £8.5 million for a concrete bunker with windows - what a load of baloney. I've no doubt most if not all the money came out of the public purse (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but either way whoever commissioned this monstrosity (sorry carbuncle), and accepted the quote should be dumped in Llyn Padarn with a heavy weight attached.
    Bah! Humbug!
    Petes eats is much more appealling. I wish it was open on the 1000s. I dont think there is any need for it soon we will find vending machines on the top of most peaks
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

I like Llyn Padarn, don't spoil that too!
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Although I'm not generally a fan of things on mountains (including bloody cairns), I suppose the railway gives everybody access to the hills, and we have the other several hundred to play with. I saw the new station about a month ago, and it least it's an improvement on the old concrete bunker.

I don't mind the cairns (would have struggled a few times without them!). But not a fan of buildings and railways on mountains. Always depresses me when you come down off Cairngorm after a good day out and you walk into all the Buildings and up lifts.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Quote Originally Posted by skennaugh View Post
    I don't mind the cairns (would have struggled a few times without them!). But not a fan of buildings and railways on mountains. Always depresses me when you come down off Cairngorm after a good day out and you walk into all the Buildings and up lifts.
    the way to the summit of CairnGorm from the top station was all roped up the other day

Last time I was up Snowdon the ground around the cafe was covered with rubbish from the cafe - notably hundreds of those little plastic stirrers. Utterly awful.

Actually, I've been up since then - but it was covered in snow, so I couldn't see if there was any rubbish!

Master

I saw a leaflet with the building on two days ago. That building is a masterpiece. I adore it. Don't like the price tag though.
    Last edited by CL; 13-06-2009 at 11:59 AM.

I reckon it's a bargain.

Welsh European Funding Office - £4,216,500
    Assembly government - £3m
    Welsh Tourist Board - £300,000
    Snowdonia Park - £270,000
    Snowdon Railway - £217,000
    Public appeal - £346,500

http://blog.snowdonia-active.com/blog

I wonder what else has cost £8,00,000 recently

When's the Uphill trial race? It's worth entering it just to go and have a run up to the top and have a look!

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    I reckon it's a bargain.

Welsh European Funding Office - £4,216,500
    Assembly government - £3m
    Welsh Tourist Board - £300,000
    Snowdonia Park - £270,000
    Snowdon Railway - £217,000
    Public appeal - £346,500

http://blog.snowdonia-active.com/blog

I wonder what else has cost £8,00,000 recently

When's the Uphill trial race? It's worth entering it just to go and have a run up to the top and have a look!
    tomorrow Dom and not too late to enter http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/pdf/int...hill_trial.pdf- Can you check out the cake menu while up there please