Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inov-8 footwear activities.

Inov-8 footwear activities.

I am a bit confused about Inov-8 footwear activities web page. I was looking at this site http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Activ...PG1&L=26&AID=1 and did a comparison between X-Talon 212, Roclite 285 and Muclaw 270. All of them have sticky rubber outsole, performance last and a rated 2/5 cushioning. Although all are ideal for mountain running according to the site, only the roclite 285 is for limited use in mountain marathon. Also, while the roclite 285 is ideal for trail running, mudclaw 270 is for limited use and X-Talon is suitable. Can someone justify these differences since these shoes have almost the same specs and are ideal in one running category? (mountain running) Thanks.

Banned

Re: Inov-8 footwear activities

Hi Spyros
    Its all a question of soles and the amount of grip.
    The Mudclaw 270 has a very aggressive sticky rubber "mudclaw" sole
    The X-Talon 212 has a studded sticky rubber outsole
    Roclite 282 has a cleated( not sharp studs) sticky rubber outsole.
    They are all made on the same performance fit last( tighter than our endurance last) though I would say that the X-Talon with its softer upper does fit slightly wider feet than the Mudclaw 270 or Mudclaw 330( which has web lacing upper)
    All have our 2 cushion sole for maximum "Propreception ( its a unconscious sense that gives us information regarding the location, movement and posture of our bodies ie: how we adjust and balance when running)

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Inov-8 Insider View Post
    Hi Spyros
    Its all a question of soles and the amount of grip.
    The Mudclaw 270 has a very aggressive sticky rubber "mudclaw" sole
    The X-Talon 212 has a studded sticky rubber outsole
    Roclite 282 has a cleated( not sharp studs) sticky rubber outsole.
    They are all made on the same performance fit last( tighter than our endurance last) though I would say that the X-Talon with its softer upper does fit slightly wider feet than the Mudclaw 270 or Mudclaw 330( which has web lacing upper)
    All have our 2 cushion sole for maximum "Propreception ( its a unconscious sense that gives us information regarding the location, movement and posture of our bodies ie: how we adjust and balance when running)

Hope this helps
    Interesting that the x-talon is wider fitter than the Mudclaw, I was looking at trying the x-talon, but if it's a wider fitting, best sticking with what I know.

I actually have all these three shoes...

I use the Claws for when it is wet and muddy, as they provide the best grip on wet grass and deep mud, use the x-talons for general fell racing under less wet conditions and use the roclite 285's for trail running and racing...

I also have a pair of f-lites, which I actually use for road racing, even though they are supposed to be a trail shoe. But they have no profile to mention.

For muntain running European style, I would use the Roclites... It is what I am planning to race the Everest Marathon in as well...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    Interesting that the x-talon is wider fitter than the Mudclaw, I was looking at trying the x-talon, but if it's a wider fitting, best sticking with what I know.
    I think he meant the X-talon has a more forgiving fit than a restricted snug fit, because the xtalon material is not as rigid. I have wide feet and can only wear the X-talon 1/2 size larger than my roclites (295, 315). I have not tried the mudclaws, but I would not say the Xtalon is a wide fit. I love its light weight though, and good grip that does not clog with mud as readily as the roclite soles.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyros76 View Post
    I am a bit confused about Inov-8 footwear activities web page. I was looking at this site http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Activ...PG1&L=26&AID=1 and did a comparison between X-Talon 212, Roclite 285 and Muclaw 270. All of them have sticky rubber outsole, performance last and a rated 2/5 cushioning. Although all are ideal for mountain running according to the site, only the roclite 285 is for limited use in mountain marathon. Also, while the roclite 285 is ideal for trail running, mudclaw 270 is for limited use and X-Talon is suitable. Can someone justify these differences since these shoes have almost the same specs and are ideal in one running category? (mountain running) Thanks.
    I have had a pair of each of these. I liked the roclite 285, but my x-talons fell apart quickly and my 270's didn't feel right somehow. I have just got a pair of Mudclaw 330's (the new yellow ones) and they are the best pair of shoes I have had. The uppers are so solid - bouncing down the scree at Kettlewell was no problem. Unlike on a walsh or an x-talon, the sharp angular rocks didn't hurt my feet at all.
    Up the mighty Wharfedale 'arriers!

Quote Originally Posted by WillMarsh View Post
    I have had a pair of each of these. I liked the roclite 285, but my x-talons fell apart quickly and my 270's didn't feel right somehow. I have just got a pair of Mudclaw 330's (the new yellow ones) and they are the best pair of shoes I have had. The uppers are so solid - bouncing down the scree at Kettlewell was no problem. Unlike on a walsh or an x-talon, the sharp angular rocks didn't hurt my feet at all.
    I found the (orange) 330's rubbed my heel, like the original mudrocs did. Love the Roclite 295s for training it, the eyelets seem to go after 50 miles, but been told this is being sorted. I tend to race in the mudclaw 270's, but find them hard going on a longer run so was wonder if the x-talons would be better for longer races.

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    I found the (orange) 330's rubbed my heel, like the original mudrocs did. Love the Roclite 295s for training it, the eyelets seem to go after 50 miles, but been told this is being sorted. I tend to race in the mudclaw 270's, but find them hard going on a longer run so was wonder if the x-talons would be better for longer races.
    I love the x-talons for longer races... dead comfy if you like a shoe that gives very little support and allows a very natural movement of the feet on the terrain... The soles are so thin though that if you step on a sharp small bit of rock, it can bruise the footsoles... Also, the uppers are not particularly hard wearing... But they dry very quickly when wet, i.e. after fording a stream or going through a bog... Also, don't expect them to last more than about 300 miles...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by WillMarsh View Post
    i also have 2 pairs the 270s talons and 330s and love the talons i prefer to have a much greater contact with the surface that im running on and the x-talon does this perfectly inov-8 work with the human foot as inspiration and believe that the foot should control the shoe and not the other way round
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scott baistow 93 View Post
    i inov-8 work with the human foot as inspiration and believe that the foot should control the shoe and not the other way round
    Scott I couldnt have said that better myself

"Propreception" its something that you will or should be hearing a lot more about