Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spec wearing in the rain!?

Spec wearing in the rain!?

Just wanted to see if anyone could offer advice to my friend Helen?
    She is dangerous without her specs on (has to ask what the time is in the swimming baths as she cannot see the MASSIVE clock...........that's clock............on the wall).
    I do remember someone AGES ago saying that you could buy a spray stuff to stop the rain beading on your specs when running............would make map reading (and general progress) much speedier for lovely Helen.
    Can anyone offer suggestion(s)??

(She does wear a hat with peak to try and stave off the worst).

Thanks.
    Chug.
    The race is long and in the end, it's only with yourself.......

Re: Spec wearing in the rain!?

Contact lenses? I'm a spec wearer and am very shortsighted, I eventually took the plunge and went for soft contacts, tried loads and eventually settled on daily disposables, use them only for when I'm doing sport. Really got to the end of my tether with misty steamy glasses, plus now I can also wear sunnies!

Hss your friend tried prescription goggles for swimming?

Thanks for that, Twister.......the goggles are quite pricey and Hel. is a tad forgetful (attended the pool "sans costume" the other day and had to take a casual aquaintance to ASDA in order to purchse one of their best £4 ones!! I fear that the prescription goggles may also be forgotten, or lost when glasses have to be removed.)

I'm sure she has tried contacts too but without success (I didn't press her on the matter when we discussed this)........specs are definately cheaper and ?more environmentally friendly, surely!?!
    Chug.

I keep meaning to try contacts. Can be slightly dangerous in glasses when cycling/running in bad weather.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

I too am mega mega short sighted & can't see further than my nose at the best of times.

I have never attempted to run without wearing my glasses, I can't see the undulations in the pavements!

I ran for 6 years with glasses doing all training & racing wearing them & did 8 road marathons & umpteen shorter fell races in them.

I can't see anything or anyone when I go swimming either.

I had previously tried contact lenses years ago & couldn't handle them & then about 5 years ago, I tried the daily disposeables & am glad to say I haven't looked back since. I wear them for all my running over 5 miles & I wear them for swimming too all the time. Swimming in them with goggles is brill, all this time & I never knew you that you could see underwater.

With the old lenses I tried I couldn't be hassled with the cleaning of them, but with the dailies you can just put them & then chuck em away after.

There is some de-misting stuff you can get, I don't bother with it though, it's available from Boots. I also wear a very peaked cap if do wear my glasses for running in the rain.

The only time my glasses bothered me was when they misted up & when I was runing hard on the track & then they would bounce up & down on my nose & irritate me.

Oh.. I also have a pair of prescription sunglass for running in & a prescription diving mask that I have had for years.

Thanks for the response, will pass in the info. and NOT buy her the BOOTS anti-misting stuff as a birthday prez.#

Impressed with your commitment to the cause, Clarky........a race in which a prescription diving mask is required sounds like the stuff of dreams!
    Chug.

Disposable contact lenses. Wear them when necessary then throw them away.

Thanks Swoop, I shall recommend this.
    (Still feel this is less than green though.........lots of things are I suppose!)

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    Thanks Swoop, I shall recommend this.
    (Still feel this is less than green though.........lots of things are I suppose!)
    I know what your saying, the only other practical solution is to bite the bullet and go for laser eye surgery, personally I'm to scared to do it at the moment, but may go for it in a few years time.

Running on road, track and cross country it's never bothered me. But fell running it really makes a difference when it's raining. I've started wearing a cap lately if I think it's probably going to rain, or is already raining at the start of a race, but I don't particularly like wearing them.