Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First MM / Fellsman-type thing

First MM / Fellsman-type thing

my mate and I are looking at entering a mountain marathon, or similar event, next year.

Neither of us has done one before but we're both experienced bad-weather walkers, I've done a bit of fell-running, we're both pretty fit, decent navigators (he's very good, I'm adequate) etc.

He knows the Lakes well, and we thought that would be a good place to try our first one. So I've been looking at the Saunders.

Anyone got any other recommendations? Is it too late for me to have a crack at one of these things this year to get a flavour of it?

I've done a bit of clicking around but not really sure how all these other events - Fellsman, Lakeland 100, etc - differ from MMs.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 15-06-2009 at 10:12 AM.

Re: First MM / Fellsman-type t

They are more long distance trail races than MM's.

There's an increasing number of new mountain marathons now, and there's also the one day events that dark and white organise.

The Rab MM should still be open, I'd suspect the OMM is now full.

http://www.darkandwhite.co.uk/mountain-marathons.asp

2nd the Rab! Which is also ran by the lot from Dark and White. Also the Mourne mountain marathon if you fancy a trip across the sea?

I preferred the RAB last year to the SLMM and the OMM, & would have felt the same whatever the weather. The RAB is smaller, & that's a big advantage in my book. I can't do it this year as it clashes with other events I want to do. The RAB is score only, so you need to decide which checkpoints to try for as you go along, winning points for each checkpoint. Advantage: fewer processions, Disadvantage: more thinking to do when you're knackered. The OMM has both score and fixed route classes. I think the SLMM is fixed route only, i.e. you have to visit all checkpoints in order. The OMM is still open for entries - they close at the end of July, then draw for who gets in. The weather on the OMM tends to be worse due to the time of year. If you're reasonably fit, pick the 2nd or 3rd easiest class for you first MM - that's what we did anyway.

cheers all

it looks as if you can't enter the top classes in these events anyway if you've not done one before - which is fair enough.

...you were also wondering about the difference between the MMs and the other races you listed. I've only done MMs (last year only - I'm not that battle hardened yet), & haven't attempted the other events, but MMs involve being up on the fells for a limited time on each of the 2 days, and only running in daylight. You get a long rest overnight. Some of those other events are (I think) non-stop through the night events so you'd need night navigation skills and more endurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    ...you were also wondering about the difference between the MMs and the other races you listed. I've only done MMs (last year only - I'm not that battle hardened yet), & haven't attempted the other events, but MMs involve being up on the fells for a limited time on each of the 2 days, and only running in daylight. You get a long rest overnight. Some of those other events are (I think) non-stop through the night events so you'd need night navigation skills and more endurance.
    so the MMs involve what, roughly about 5 hours of running each day?

Mountain marathon. Running during the day through a series of checkpoints on either a linear course or a score course where you choose the checkpoints you want to go to and they have a score attached to them.

Linear course is same as a fell race i.e fastest time wins. Score is most points in a set amount of time (which depends on the course you choose to do).

You run to an overnight camp and then camp out. Usually in some boggy windswept field. then do the same again the next day.

you need to be self sufficient over the two days so need tent, food, stove, sleeping bag etc etc

difficulty depends on the class (or category) that you choose. From easy to bloody hard. You choose how hard to make it.

oh and times out can vary again depending on class / category from 3 hours to 7/8 hours a day.

Did the LAMM for the first time this year. Brill.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...