Thread: Modified Walshes - Can you?

Modified Walshes - Can you?

I was wondering if anyone has ever modified their shoes to make them fit better. I get a bit of achillies pain with my walshes after a longish run, and was wondering if cutting of the high bit on the achilies tab (the heel of the shoe - making it look like all other trainers) would help.

This maybe a shot in the dark, but has anyone tried this? Has anyone made any other modifications to their shoes - Walsh soles on Inov-8's perhaps (now theres an idea).

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Re: Modified Walshes - Can you

How do twister,

before customising your shoes I would establish what is causing the problem, is it merely rubbing of the said shoe or are you used to running in road shoes and the altered low height of your walsh shoes are causing an increased stretch on you achillies tendon and pain?

maybe you could try some taping or stretching (only one though, so you know what works, or not)

Onwards and upwards

Gaz

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    How do twister,

before customising your shoes I would establish what is causing the problem, is it merely rubbing of the said shoe or are you used to running in road shoes and the altered low height of your walsh shoes are causing an increased stretch on you achillies tendon and pain?

maybe you could try some taping or stretching (only one though, so you know what works, or not)

Onwards and upwards

Gaz
    Years ago it was standard practice to use a stanley knife and slice into the heal tab of the shoe.
    Shoes are constructed differently now so it isnt generaly required.
    However i would not hesitate to modify a shoe if i thought it would help.

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.E Knott View Post
    Years ago it was standard practice to use a stanley knife and slice into the heal tab of the shoe.
    Shoes are constructed differently now so it isnt generaly required.
    However i would not hesitate to modify a shoe if i thought it would help.
    Better still, take the stanley knife to your own heel*. This means you don't have to make the same adjustment to all your shoes.

* after sterilising it an a candle flame, obviously. No point taking silly risks.

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

With some Innov8's you could heat the heel cup -steam from a kettle- & pop your shoe on to form a better fit as it cooled around your foot. Don't know if this works with Walshes.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    How do twister,

To be honest it's only a problem over 15 miles or so and therefore I have been using my Walshes just for racing, otherwise I train in Rocklites which Don't have such a high heel tab, I only run on road once a week on club night for 6 miles. I think the pain is caused by the higher tab on the Walshes rubing the achillies, especially on long descents.

For me the perfect shoe would be a Rocklite with a Walsh sole, as I have heaps more confidence decending in Walshes, but the fit of me 315's are spot on.

It's not a perfect world.

I've just brought a pair of Montrail Pheonix cheep off Rock and run anyway.

I might just take the stanley knife to the Walshes though...

Lancashire Sports repairs can put a walsh sole on any shoe can't they? Has anyone tried mixing and matching any other soles and uppers by the company?
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Unless they've altered their policy LSR won't p;ut a Walsh sole on anything but an original pair of Walsh shoes. I took a pair of Jalas O shoes (perfect fit for me) and they wouldn't do it but they do have their own studded sole which they fitted - it is a conical stud about 10mm dia at the base tapering to a point and about 15mm apart (centre to centre) not as grippy as Walshes but they've worn better (crap on wet rock though - but then what isn't)