Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to take to a race

what to take to a race

Hi,

Am intending to do a couple of fell races in the next couple of months. I've been trying to find on the fra site if it tells you what to take - can anyone point me to the right page?

I read somewhere that I need to carry a waterproof top and bottoms in a bumbag, do I also need a map and compass?. Are these rules mainly for big lake district fell races as the ones I'm thinking of doing are local evening races -Hathersage, Longshaw, Bamford and the like.

Cheers.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: what to take to a race

Don't forget your shorts, or they'll rummage in the lost property box and you'll have to run in a pair with skiddies!

Seriously though, entry criteria varies by event so will be worth checking on the individual race sites (usually on the club site of the club hosting). The longer more arduous races tend to have more requirements, understandably.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    Hi,

Am intending to do a couple of fell races in the next couple of months. I've been trying to find on the fra site if it tells you what to take - can anyone point me to the right page?

I read somewhere that I need to carry a waterproof top and bottoms in a bumbag, do I also need a map and compass?. Are these rules mainly for big lake district fell races as the ones I'm thinking of doing are local evening races -Hathersage, Longshaw, Bamford and the like.

Cheers.
    Hi newbie

As SS says it varies from race to race but if you turn up with waterproof top and bottoms and/or windproof(pertex) top and poss bottoms, hat, gloves, compass/ Map (Maybe printed off Memory map etc), spare food (Jelly baby's) and something to carry them in you should always have the correct kit

Chances are on the races you mentioned you won't need anything but if you've got them with you it's not a problem

All my kit goes to every race as requirements can change at the last minute due to forecast.

Maybe worth having an extra thermal in the bag just incase it's really dire weather. it won't usually requires at a medium or short but will be useful for those longer runs

maybe worth mentioning that just because it's not a requirement doesn't mean you can't take.
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 17-06-2009 at 02:56 PM.

and a whistle

and on long races where you might get lost/have to drop to the wrong valley I always take a £20 note in a placcy bag for taxi fare

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    and a whistle

and on long races where you might get lost/have to drop to the wrong valley I always take a £20 note in a placcy bag for taxi fare
    oops yes for got the whistle.

and possibly a mobile

thanks everyone. Think I will just take everything then see what people are doing when I get there.

And a black bin bag - for putting your filthy clothes in after the race.

And a towel for drying yourself/wiping the mud off.....and if needs be.....covering yourself whilst you change.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    And a black bin bag - for putting your filthy clothes in after the race.

And a towel for drying yourself/wiping the mud off.....and if needs be.....covering yourself whilst you change.

covering yourself whilst you change

come over to pennine, even our changing tent is see through

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    covering yourself whilst you change

come over to pennine, even our changing tent is see through
    Woo hoo!
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    thanks everyone. Think I will just take everything then see what people are doing when I get there.
    You're right to take IDP's advice: take everything with you just in case.
    When you register for a race, there's usually a bit of paper tacked up that specifies what you need to carry. The organiser adapts this according to the conditions and weather forecast. If it doesn't say, it's worth asking; you can't always tell by looking at other runners as bumbags tend to appear or disappear rapidly around start time, and anyway, you don't know what's inside them!
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies