Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grindleford

Grindleford 19th June

Anybody got any details on this one?

Re: Grindleford 19th June

This is from the calendar pages at http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/2008races.htm#jun but no harm in giving it an extra plug. It's another nice shortish one starting with a mad dash for position before the single file climb up the hill.

THU.JUN 19. GRINDLEFORD (R). CS. 7.30 p.m. 4.5m/500' from Bishop's Pavilion, Grindleford (GR SK244778). £3. PM. Over 16. Records: 31.11 T. Austin 2006; f. 36.56 K.Dalton 1997. Refreshments available. No safety pins. Details: Joy Benn, Highmead, Sir William Hill Road, Grindleford, Hope Valley, S32 2HS. Tel: 01433 630221. Email: [email protected]

I'll try to put a map on the calver peak website at http://www.calverpeak.co.uk.

fantastic - again, thanks for your help, i will keep checking the calver peak website.

The first mile or so is uphill and through the woods and once you're in there, there's no way of overtaking so it's best to start near the front. I got caught in the bottleneck last year and it took me about five minutes to go about a quarter of a mile. From what I remember its a real mix of terrain. Starts from the cricket pitch.
    RA

Talking Re: Grindleford 19th June

Nice race. You definitely need a quick start to make sure you don't get stuck in the bottleneck. If I remember you do a couple of laps of the carpark field. The only climb is within the first mile (steep and narrow, can be damp as it is under trees); followed by some narrow singletrack leading to a marshy field crossing to a FAST track (boring). You leave Longshaw, cross the road and drop the length of Padley Gorge (VERY rooty and bouldery and often damp), more track, then a loooong section of downhill followed by flat, fast fields. It finishes with a crossing of the river, it didn't last year, but it usually does - Phew! Hope that is descriptive enough for you.

Usually a big field. Hope to be there, but haven't got a pass out yet as it is usually Helen's night to train. Will have to work a bit of magic on her....

Phil - thanks for that, very helpful - just noticed that you live at Crookes - anywhere near Tasker Road?

Very near, I live at the top of School Road, next door the Converted Church. Had a girlfriend who lived on Taskar Road whilst a Uni. If you fancy a jog tomorrow or Tuesday night let me know.

Phil

Well done for yesterday Phil,great run.I might give this one a go,depends how the knee's holding up,little bit sore this morning.

Anyone going to this tomorrow???????

Thanks Matt, Hoping to make it. Finished my PGCE today, so it depends if I get wasted tomorrow or Friday.