Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grindleford

Grindleford

Hi folks. New to the Forum and relatively new to fell running. Just wondered whether anyone was doing this one tomorrow? I'll be there, looking forward to it.

Doesn't seem to be that much info out there about it (aside from the FRA Calendar details) did find a thread from last year on it (haven't figured out how to work the link thing yet! ), sounds like getting a quick start is gonna be important to avoid getting stuck in a bottleneck.

Anyway if you're there have a good one!

Re: Grindleford

Hi Starsky
    Do you drive a red car with a white stripe down it? Oops, I'm clearly not a junior member I'm new to the forum also (from a participation point of view anyway). I haven't done Grindleford, but as a CS, I guess it should be pretty fast and furious at the front, (assuming that's where you're aiming to be?) It's in the DPFR local league, so you can guarantee that there will be plenty of brown vests looking to boost their tallies. Will you be bringing Hutch along?
    However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results

Nice race, with a good turn out. A couple of micky mouse laps of the football pitch to stretch the field out before the grind up the narrow hill. A long the tops for a bit before a super descent which proves quite technical (lots of big gritstone rocks) along the path next to padley gorge before heading round the back of padley across a couple of fields before the water splash and the sprint finish.

A pleasant way to spend a thursday evening.
    'Normal' people are the ones you don't know very well.

Yes, it's essential to get a good warm up, so that you're ready to make a fast start. Otherwise you'll be stuck behind everyone just when you're starting to feel strong half way up the climb.

Make sure you have your vest tucked in when you try to climb up the muddy bank out of the River Derwent just before the finish. Several unscrupulous types have been known to pull you back into the river.
    Its better to have fought and lost, than not have fought at all.

Thanks for the tips everyone, sounds like this is going to be fun! Must remember to bring a towel! Not sure about the loops of the field at the start but if it helps to stretch the field then I guess it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller View Post
    Hi Starsky
    Do you drive a red car with a white stripe down it? Oops, I'm clearly not a junior member I'm new to the forum also (from a participation point of view anyway). I haven't done Grindleford, but as a CS, I guess it should be pretty fast and furious at the front, (assuming that's where you're aiming to be?) It's in the DPFR local league, so you can guarantee that there will be plenty of brown vests looking to boost their tallies. Will you be bringing Hutch along?
    You seem to know me very well, have we met?!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth of The Dark Side View Post
    Make sure you have your vest tucked in when you try to climb up the muddy bank out of the River Derwent just before the finish. Several unscrupulous types have been known to pull you back into the river.
    Is that why you go topless

Quote Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
    You seem to know me very well, have we met?!
    Funnily enough, I also have a picture of me on the Cantilever Rock, but that was before colour photography was invented.
    However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller View Post
    Funnily enough, I also have a picture of me on the Cantilever Rock, but that was before colour photography was invented.
    Suspect it's quite a common photo (there were actually people queing up for it when I was there!) but hey, what can I say, I'm easily impressed!