Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Race Etiquette

Race Etiquette

Ok, a quick question re what might be reasonable to expect:

In a race, single file path on the fell, fellow competitor right in front of you who is slowing you down. I recognise that there is nothing preventing you going round (ie off path), but wondered on forumites view's on whether it is reasonable to:

1) ask to be let past
    2) expect to be let past

Re: Race Etiquette

its up to you to get past cleanly.
    I had one woman recently trying to push me off a path on a climb and i eventually got to the top first. I get fed up of people making a great deal of fuss to get past and then slowing up in your way so unless I was slowing down for a reason other than racing I would not respond to someone asking me or telling me to get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by abd View Post

In a race, single file path on the fell, fellow competitor right in front of you who is slowing you down. I recognise that there is nothing preventing you going round (ie off path), but wondered on forumites view's on whether it is reasonable to:

1) ask to be let past
    2) expect to be let past
    Sod off!

I would say that it is up to the passing person behind to make the overtaking manouvre as he/she sees fit.

The person in front only really has a responsibility not to block deliberately - to keep to a consistant line.

some times the person in front is unaware you want to get past so I wait for a wider bit and say 'passing you on your left'. That way they (hopefully) don't step in your way so neither of you get knocked over

I'd expect the person behind to overtake safely, if they asked me to move I'd politely decline

Quote Originally Posted by abd View Post

1) ask to be let past
    2) expect to be let past
    Nope not had this problem
    seriously just be polite and pass when, if you can, it a gentle persons sport that god willing will not change.
    Going to try again....

I think it's like formula 1. Etiquette dictates that if you're in front, you're allowed to take whatever line you want unless this is deliberately taken to block the person behind.

Having said that, if someone is clearly able to run more quickly than me, I normally make a slight effort to let them past, as I prefer to chase someone and then overtake them at the end, rather than the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    some times the person in front is unaware you want to get past so I wait for a wider bit and say 'passing you on your left'. That way they (hopefully) don't step in your way so neither of you get knocked over
    What he says..

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Having said that, if someone is clearly able to run more quickly than me, I normally make a slight effort to let them past, as I prefer to chase someone and then overtake them at the end, rather than the other way around.
    Actually I prefer people to go past esp on a climb as they can tow me up and I'll go faster

I always get paranoid when im holding someone up and i always shout to them as we are running along whether they want to pass or not.

If someone lets me pass i make sure i thank them and if i see them at the finish i'll thank them again.

But when i want to pass someone, you've just got to go for it and fling yourself in the heather, hope you stay upright and pass them.