Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Race Etiquette

Re: Race Etiquette

of course there is the other option of grapping the guy in fronts waisteband on his shorts or his bumbag If hes got one and giving a sharp tug to get past

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Just remember that "the runner in front" must have been faster to that point of the race,
    All these slow runners who sprint off at the start eh, WP?

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge the Elf View Post
    I don't find this issue a problem except when you get some numpty behind who makes an arse of themselves by trying to overtake in an obviously inappropriate place. This will often result in contact being made so after the third or so attempt to pass I inadvertently lose all control of my elbows and will also gob into the air in an apparently random fashion but really having taken wind direction, trajectories, distance of miscreant behind me etc into account thereby succeeding in covering said arse in spittle.

Nah I'm only kidding you on - I just stick a leg out most times.
    And what he says too!
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

A lady runner at last year's Bronte Way race actually 'caroused' my back as I was climbing a stile in front of her . Naturally she'd mistaken me for someone else but as a technique it did work and I let her pass.
    Last edited by Stolly; 19-06-2009 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    A lady runner at last year's Bronte Way race actually 'caroused' my back as I was climbing a style in front of her . Naturally she'd mistaken me for someone else but as a technique it did work and I let her pass.
    Did you make a pass at her?
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Pudgy View Post
    All these slow runners who sprint off at the start eh, WP?
    Yes I've had some notable starts - my favourite was the Liverpool Cross Challenge a couple of years ago where I beat TomCee to the first corner!

Can't think of any notable finished though

I agree with IanDP on the "coming past on the left" when overtaking at speed so as to avoid a clash! It's also very cheering when a slow descender moves to one side deliberately to let you past, but not something you'd ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I agree with IanDP on the "coming past on the left" when overtaking at speed so as to avoid a clash! It's also very cheering when a slow descender moves to one side deliberately to let you past, but not something you'd ask for.
    I do try my best to get out of the way!!

I am usually at the blunt end of the race, more than happy to step to one side to let people pass if I can safely do it. One race in Derbyshire though it was getting dark and the route was a fairly short descent through some woods. You coudnt see much of the narrow path. I am a poor descender but I was overtaken by someone barging through, making contact and grumbling at me. Within about 5yds he had fallen off the path and was looking like an upturned turtle in the ferns. The polite inquiry by me if he was Ok was never said with more sarcasm!

If overtaking someone I wouldn't expect them to get off the racing line. It is my job to be able to pass them safely. If I can't pass them safely I drop in behind them until I can. I may tell them overtaking on the left or right but more out of courtesy than anything else.

The same goes the other way, if someone is behind me and wants to overtake I will not get off my racing line unless I was severly slowing them down. I can only think of noonstones where this happened as I had forgotten my fell shoes so couldn't descent so I went off the racing line.

Clue is in the titles, racing line in a race. Its there to be won not given.