Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Race Etiquette

Re: Race Etiquette

I also find that if I do go off the racing line to get out of the way invariably the people behind me follow me anyway!!!

Don't follow me!!

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Don't follow me!!
    Most definitely NOT, especially not on descents
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Interesting comments from AJF, as this isn't generally my experience. If somebody's obviously running faster than me, I keep to one side of the path and let them past (ask the couple of hundred who passed me last night), and people tend to do the same for me (although my memory is very dim, from the last time I passed anyone).

Obviously if the path really is too narrow for two people to pass, then you keep on it, but there's really not a lot of paths like this for any length on fell races.

As Amex said, it's a gentle sport, and people tend to show a little courtesy to each other. If I wanted to elbow, cut people up and insist on my racing line I'd stay on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I agree with IanDP on the "coming past on the left" when overtaking at speed so as to avoid a clash!
    The problem is on an out and back course when you are approaching someone coming the other way. When you shout "coming past on the left" they invariably move to their right!

a lot of interesting comments on the previous posts.
    as one that gets overtaken quite a lot (well OK a hell of a lot) i have to say that none of us have eyes in the back of our heads so it sometimes it is hard to know whether the heavy panting behind is due to
    1) the guy/ woman behind is having a coronary
    2) he/ she's fancies the shape of your bum and getting excited
    3) they need a drink
    4) or they are trying to get past

It is difficult to look round if you are on awkward terrain as that is a sure way to end up on the deck.
    I agree that if you are passing at speed and there is someone much slower in front a simple "coming through on the left/right" is quite acceptable to avoid a collision but if you are running at a similar pace and then there is a slow in front perhaps due to a bottleneck then there is no point in forcing your way through when you were unable to overtake at racing speed. (i use the term racing speed very loosely in this context)
    I have to say that there are people that seem hell bent on passing even though they have been sat behind you for ages and then blo**y slow up the minute they have passed you.
    I ran the Morecambe 10k last Sunday and 5 women started at the front in a line across and jogged off from the start. needless to say yours truly was stuck behind and took me half a mile to get past them whilst they were chatting about needlework and washing dishes.
    Tebay tomorrow and I am starting at the front and it will cost a fiver to get past!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pudgy View Post
    Interesting comments from AJF, as this isn't generally my experience. If somebody's obviously running faster than me, I keep to one side of the path and let them past.
    Thats what I am saying too! If someone is obviously running faster than me and I am severly slowing them down then I would move off the racing line, but if we are near the same speed and they want me to move off then I am not going to. Its a race after all.

If a couple of hundred passed you then you did right to move off the best line and I would have done the same.

I can tell I have been doing loads of short fell races this year! Longer stuff I am not that bothered, as positions keep changing over the course of the x amount of hours running but shorter stuff you want to keep your position and also keep on the best line and I tend to be running faster therefore isn't always safe or a good idea to just jump to one side.

I think AJF is right, if you're both moving at a similar pace it's up to them to overtake, if it's restricted I'll shot back give me a shout if you want to get through, especially on ultra's.

I don't find this much of an issue though, what seems to have got worse is out and back races and going through the back of the field. Stuc a Chroin was very bad for this, people dallying, not giving way for descending runners, Cader was also quite bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    When you shout "coming past on the left" they invariably move to their right!
    Who is right and who gets left behind?
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Resurrecting this thread more on the etiquette side than overtaking but a roundabout way on that too. I'm usually in the last 10% of a race, last 20% on a good day. However, if I race then I give it my all. Rarely have a sprint finish as there is nothing left at the end.
    I did a race on Friday where two young obviously fit young ladies were using it as a gossip session and training run. They were behind me for almost all the race "chatting". I felt like I had stumbled into a fun run road race!!
    1/2 mile from the end I actually took a longer line just to get away from the inane chatter.
    To me if you are in a race then race and if you are that fit you can talk ALL the way round then have some respect for us back runners and keep your chatting for training runs.
    im not a grumpy, unsociable cow but really!! That was so bloody annoying

The 'chatting' was notable by its absence at the Darren Holloway race!! Very very quite it was where I was running!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com