Thread: Navigation training, Peaks.

Navigation training, Peaks.

Anyone know where I can get hold of the grid refs for the checkpoints at last year's Rab mini MM's in the Peaks? Hoping to do a bit of nav training.
    (Not done one of these - do they just give you the grid refs as in the Saunders, or do you get an overprinred map?)
    Thanks.

Re: Navigation training, Peaks

They provide a map with the controls on, by hand rather than posh orienteering style overprinting. The controls are mostly near obvious features rather than hidden away, so if you want to practice just identify your own controls from the map and head for them. To make it a bit more difficult you could use the features with the words on the map, e.g. go to a letter with in a word that crosses a stream. On a course I was once told to "take us to the dot above the i in Kinder Low"! The apostrophe in Madwoman's Stones is another you can head for.

Thanks for that John. Good idea. I usually tend to head for definite features when out training, as I like to know that I've actually got there (or have a pretty good idea). Always get that nagging doubt that I might not be in exactly the right place when it's not an actual event and the kite markers aren't there. Must stop dithering!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShortFatHairyLegs View Post
    Anyone know where I can get hold of the grid refs for the checkpoints at last year's Rab mini MM's in the Peaks? Hoping to do a bit of nav training.
    (Not done one of these - do they just give you the grid refs as in the Saunders, or do you get an overprinred map?)
    Thanks.
    I can get you a New Chew map which is another orieenterring/fell event similar to the RAB mini mm. And that is really good with varying terrain and thats in the peak district
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Cheers TT. Sounds perfect. Could you PM me the details?
    Thanks.