Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: help needed

help needed

No, I am not after a copy of SMOTS, already have one.
    As some of you know I am well advanced on a rather large piece I am writing about the 'anorak' (ie, the geek not the waterproof overgarment).
    I would love to hear of your thoughts on several matters.
    One particularly well known super vet in the world of fell running claimed t'other day that 'all fell runners are anoraks', as we are boring as hell in the pub....
    Who is the geekiest anorak you have met - why this person the geekiest person you ever met and what makes a good anorak. Any ideas, no matter how brief will be most super. PM me if you don't want it broadcasting, but please bear in mind that the really good stuff will possibly end up in print (and you'll be acknowledged).
    Free book (if I have any left) for the best one !
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

please

please...........
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

Well the geekiest person I know is me!
    'That's what you get when you suffer - you get results'

thread

Quote Originally Posted by fellhell View Post
    Well the geekiest person I know is me!
    tell me why and you could be in print
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

I am also a geek. As an engineer for the BBC it is guaranteed that I will end up with grey with a bushy beard, bushy eyebrows and protruding nasal hair, which is scary being as I am a girl!

PM sent to you Rob ! Hope you find it useful !!!
    If you cant change something, change the way you feel about it !

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    PM sent to you Rob ! Hope you find it useful !!!
    Hilarious , you should share it with the world.
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

Geek

Here goes then Rob....

My wife calls me a geek all the time. She also states that all Fell Runners are Geeks (or tree hugging social worker types who eat bean curd and toffu, drink real ale and end up either bald or beardies).

However much I argue my case with her that I am not it only goes to strengthen her case !

As a kid, when all teen age boys had pictures of semi clad women all over their walls, I had the Ordnance Survey Geological Map of the British Isles on my wall ! My love of maps has continued. I'm sure she'd love me to have copies of Penthouse in the downstairs loo instead of the FRA mag ???

Working in IT doesnt help the cause. Especially when I end up putting all my race maps into my Anquet Software !

However, my definition of an IT Geek is someone who is fluent in Linux ! The fact that I know what Linux is, in my wife's eyes, makes me a geek !

I think we should set up a new branch of the FRA for Geeks. We can all be known as FRAG's then.
    We can hold montlhy meetings like the AA where we each stand up and admit our geekiness to each other and provide emotional support.

My wife would just say the fact that the FRA has a forum is proof in fact that only Geeks fell run !

I did try to give her some history into our fine sport. No joy there either. I said that the first marathon run was by Pheidippides and that was basically a fell run. I pointed out that Pheidippides was a soldier and not a Geek. The wife just said he was Greek and that's only one letter away from being one anyway !

She may have a point ?
    If you cant change something, change the way you feel about it !

Like it Rob.

I have a peculiar obsession for record-keeping that I'm sure makes me a geek (a geekess?)

I have lists of all the races I've ever done, with accompanying stats.
    I have lists and detailed log books of all the mountains I've been up, with accompanying stats.
    I have training diaries that log meticulously all the miles I've ever ran.
    I stuck my 1:40000 Lake District map on the wall, and then stuck red stickers all over it where I've been.

I also have an unsustainable obsession for technical clothing. Where my normal friends spend all their money in TopShop, I'll spend hours browsing the Outdoor Shops getting all excited about the latest lightweight ultrabreathable jacket.

I have 4 anoraks

Officially a geek?

Rob, as unlikely and sad as it may seem , I can indeed confirm all of the above posting by Juicer! She is indeed the very definition of the word "anorak" when it comes to running/walking

That said, I have to confess (before Juicer spills the beans), that I'm also a bit of a geek/anorak about certain things, the latest being.....

Bought the English Championships 2006 DVD in Pete Blands just before xmas. We've watched it a couple of times now and, (here goes, wait for it!)...I can tell you the age category of the person as soon as their name is mentioned!!

Beat that!!
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog