Thread: Beginner to Fell Running

Beginner to Fell Running

I am a road runner living in Scunthorpe but would really like to develop into fell running.

I have started with a couple of trail races - Ilkely Moor Trail 8.9 being one - and have undertaken one 'fell' race - Wharfedale Half.

I have now joined fellrunner and have received the race listings - but could do with some guidance as to knowing what to enter in order to build up my skills, not only on the hills but in conditions and navigation.

There are a small number within our club who are experienced fell runners and I will be seeking their advice but it is fair to say my opportunities to train in similar terrains will be very limited - some flat off-roads or road hill training sessions. Therefore, these races will also be my training. If anyone does have any routes that would be suitable for a beginner female on her own to do on a Saturday around Sheffield, Leeds ... please do let me know.

Any advice will be hugely appreciated!

Thanks

Sam

Super Moderator

Re: Beginner to Fell Running

Quote Originally Posted by SamRitson View Post
    I am a road runner living in Scunthorpe but would really like to develop into fell running.

I have started with a couple of trail races - Ilkely Moor Trail 8.9 being one - and have undertaken one 'fell' race - Wharfedale Half.

I have now joined fellrunner and have received the race listings - but could do with some guidance as to knowing what to enter in order to build up my skills, not only on the hills but in conditions and navigation.

There are a small number within our club who are experienced fell runners and I will be seeking their advice but it is fair to say my opportunities to train in similar terrains will be very limited - some flat off-roads or road hill training sessions. Therefore, these races will also be my training. If anyone does have any routes that would be suitable for a beginner female on her own to do on a Saturday around Sheffield, Leeds ... please do let me know.

Any advice will be hugely appreciated!

Thanks

Sam
    If you enjoyed the Ilkley trail race then you would probably enjoy Abbey Runners' upcoming new 'Rombalds Romp' event. They are celebrating their 25th anniversary and if the Romp is like last weeks fell race it'll be good www.abbeyrunners.co.uk

Similarly the Yorkshireman half marathon in September is a beginner friendly event www.kcac.co.uk

Keep an eye on the Race section on here and use that info with the FRA calendar

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
    Poacher turned game-keeper