Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Widdop

Master

Re: Widdop

Quote Originally Posted by Clash City Rocker View Post
    Cant say but am beginning to pick up news about this years Widdop that disturbs me. There was talk on the evening of at least one parent being confrontational with those involved in organising the race along with a runner as well. I have heard that there was foul and abusive language used in front of very young children. There is of course no room for this unacceptable behaviour. A number of CVFR runners have mentioned this to me now and I have yet to speak to the guy who may have felt the brunt of this. I have heard tonight that the runner made threats towards the marshall. At this point this is still hearsay but needless to say I will be looking into it further. I am raising it here in case anyone who reads the forum can shed any light on what happened.
    Apparently it may have been someone from one of the older age groups and I have heard several people point at a particular club.
    I am keen to hear anything about this, I will be looking into it further and should it turn out to be true (and I hope it doesnt as it is shocking behaviour) there will be some action taken to highlight the issue
    Thats sad. Sort of thing that made me stop playing junior football and rugby at 13 years old.
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Just be careful - lots of rumour / gossip etc.

Work on the facts.

Fact is the race was missing a marshall and it created problems and not everyone reacts in the same way to problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Just be careful - lots of rumour / gossip etc.

Work on the facts.

Fact is the race was missing a marshall and it created problems and not everyone reacts in the same way to problems.
    The foul and abusive language from a junior runner and a parent was fact. Not rumour or gossip.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

I have now spoken to the marshall at the end of the race and he has confirmed that a runner crossed the line and began to eff and blind about the race, he was asked to mind his language and retorted with something like "why what are you going to do about" a direct challenge to the authority of the marshall as well as to the ethics that go hand in hand with fell running.
    I accept that WP is right there was a marshall missing from one spot which lead to some confusion that was regrettable and I apologise for this situation occurring. I could explain why it happened but it would look like I am trying to absolve any responsibility which is not what this is about. Effectively it meant that runners did an out and back route instead of the slightly steeper longer alternative return route. Clearly people will react differently to this and thats OK however what is completely unacceptable is for anyone parent and/or child to be abusive. It would be fine to ask questions and to point out the problems that had occurred. I am still disappointed that this sport of ours has become infiltrated with the mentality that TT accurately suggests is more associated with junior football. It disgusts me.
    I am still hopeful that the person responsible will have the courage to accept responsibility for their unacceptable behaviour and contact me. I am aware which club they represent and will be contacting them regardless. I still have faith in the fact that the right thing can still be done about this unpleasant incident. There have been some families who have complained as their very young children were unfortunate enough to have heard the outburst. Its such a poor example to set to younger runners.
    Lets see what happens now, I have no doubt that those responsible will have read this thread.
    "Moors are a stage for the performance of heaven"

Talking Re: Widdop

i came first at widdop in the under 12s

Quote Originally Posted by lloydy View Post
    i came first at widdop in the under 12s
    noo ya dint did you ? it phil done
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.