Quote Originally Posted by scott baistow 93 View Post
    whys that ?
    he lives in cornwall and i beat him in the 2008 national xc
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Re: Ingleborough

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    he lives in cornwall and i beat him in the 2008 national xc
    well done
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Thumbs up Re: Ingleborough

Hi Lads, You've highlighted a problem with a lot of junior races given the maximum distance rules.
    Ingleborough U18 and senior are as good as the circumstances and terrain allow (not necessarily 'shit'! Scott just nothing else possible). It's more of a symbolic race associated with the Ingleton Gala. A sort of "it's there so we'll run up it" approach, which is how so many races started. A good day out for the family, but yes there are better courses available at other venues. It can be difficult to minimise the amount of tarmac and trail for juniors - Pen-y-Ghent has the same drawback as I remember. Even the classic 24 mile 3 Peaks race, some people prefer to run in trail shoes. Only the last 5 miles might be called fell.

So, I suggest those of you actually entering junior races should work out a set of criteria for a junior race, from parking, amenities, to type of terrain, amount of climbing etc. and come up with a list of current races that fit them. This would give organisers an opportunity to improve their races and create new ones. Constructive feedback usually improves the situation. It would help choose championship races.
    Good running!
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

The set up for the junior's was disappointing. There was an interesting thread on the FRA Jnr race http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...t=ingleborough

There is massive potential for good races at this venue, as clearly the senior race is a cracking race.

The question is, will the organisers start the races outside of the gala area and give the athletes chance to get on the fell, or will they stick to the routine of last year.

Shutlingsloe learnt and changed - for the better I thought.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    as clearly the senior race is a cracking race.
    Although I've always enjoyed it as a good afternoon out, I've always thought it would be a much better race if it started at Crina Bottom as the road and track from the village to there are pretty awful. Even the climb up from Crina Bottom isn't very nice since the path was "improved".

I agree, while there is potential to use more of the lower slopes of Ingleborough, assuming there is access either side of the track, it depends on what the Gala committee is looking for - I suspect it's as just another gala event rather than a fell race as we would understand it. Only David McGonnigal, the race organiser will know, but it may be that the Gala committee insist on a start and finish on the gala field. Without that then the area as the track leaves the Hawes road could be utilised, but would there then be other problems?
    Both I and my son have done the senior and U18 races (respectively!) in the past, and I think (imho) the race is what it is, another event at a gala for the spectators. Good fun, an afternoon out, very dangerous steps at the top if wet, but not an outstanding fell race. And the U18 trophy is quite something, shame someone neglected to return it!
    I don't want to rake up last year's inquest again, but I think with hindsight David was given an impossible task to resolve for the U8 - U14 courses, given the Gala committee's likely terms of reference and the nature of what was available to him. Lessons learned all round.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

david

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    I think (imho) the race is what it is, another event at a gala for the spectators. Good fun, an afternoon out.
    I quite agree. It's a great event to combine a family afternoon out with a race and provides a spectacle for the gala. There's just too much road and track in it for it for my liking and I've always felt sorry for the juniors having to turn back at Crina Bottom just as it starts to get interesting.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    Hi Lads, You've highlighted a problem with a lot of junior races given the maximum distance rules.
    Ingleborough U18 and senior are as good as the circumstances and terrain allow (not necessarily 'shit'! Scott just nothing else possible). It's more of a symbolic race associated with the Ingleton Gala. A sort of "it's there so we'll run up it" approach, which is how so many races started. A good day out for the family, but yes there are better courses available at other venues. It can be difficult to minimise the amount of tarmac and trail for juniors - Pen-y-Ghent has the same drawback as I remember. Even the classic 24 mile 3 Peaks race, some people prefer to run in trail shoes. Only the last 5 miles might be called fell.

So, I suggest those of you actually entering junior races should work out a set of criteria for a junior race, from parking, amenities, to type of terrain, amount of climbing etc. and come up with a list of current races that fit them. This would give organisers an opportunity to improve their races and create new ones. Constructive feedback usually improves the situation. It would help choose championship races.
    Good running!

I think at least 4 out of the 6 champs races should be catagory A

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    I think at least 4 out of the 6 champs races should be catagory A
    Coiners was - subject to the age group.
    Shutlingsloe is AS
    Ambleside also AS
    Darwen is AS
    I aslo think that the Viking Chase, although the senior is BM, that the juniors would be AS.
    That leaves AW - race 1 - but there's quite a bit of climb in that.

Perhaps all 6 would class as A category terrain, of course with variations due to age group.

Master

I did the race and dont see any problems despite the route being the same as last year. No overtaking-nonsense, dangerous-nonsense just a very fast traily race very enjoyable. Not your wasdale bofra or aw but a good fell race in its own right. Oh did i add i came 2nd