Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snowdon - which shoe?

Snowdon - which shoe?

Hi,

I'm taking part in the Snowdon Mountain Race in July for the first time. Does anyone have any suggestions for footwear? I'm thinking of using my X-Talon's which I usually use for AM/BM races, but would be open to other suggestions....I also own Brooks Cascadia (good trail shoe!), 330s, Terroc's & 295s!

Many thanks,

Tom

Re: Snowdon - which shoe?

It's mainly on hard surfaces (though rough in places) so you don't need studs or a decent grip. I ran up recently in a pair of low profile trail shoes, which were fine. If I were doing the race, I think I'd use a pair of road racing flats.

Quote Originally Posted by Pudgy View Post
    It's mainly on hard surfaces (though rough in places) so you don't need studs or a decent grip. I ran up recently in a pair of low profile trail shoes, which were fine. If I were doing the race, I think I'd use a pair of road racing flats.
    Cheers for your reply. I had thought about my road flats (New Balance 827s). I think I'm leaning towards my trail shoes, because they've got a good cushioned midsole for the descent.

FellMonster

I ran up and down Snowdon randomly (after a long lay off) when on holiday in Wales about 2 1/2 months ago.....I wore a pair of New Balance road shoes which are slightly too big for me.......my midfoot was badly blistered (I went for it on the way down)....

If I was to do it again I would wear my favourite trail shoes.

I suppose common sense should dictate the 2 things I learned most from my adventure:

1) Make sure your shoes are a good fit
    2) Do some training beforehand

Master

Quote Originally Posted by FellMonster View Post
    I ran up and down Snowdon randomly (after a long lay off) when on holiday in Wales about 2 1/2 months ago.....I wore a pair of New Balance road shoes which are slightly too big for me.......my midfoot was badly blistered (I went for it on the way down)....

If I was to do it again I would wear my favourite trail shoes.

I suppose common sense should dictate the 2 things I learned most from my adventure:

1) Make sure your shoes are a good fit
    2) Do some training beforehand
    not mudclaws thats for sure and once again Crosslites are made for this type of terrain but are very pricey
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

I was up there this morning and saw a fine selection of pumps, sandals, crocs and trainers. so it seems anything will do....

snowdon has very rocky terrain morgan donnelly used the inov-8 f-lites which are mountain racing flats with good cushioning, x-talons are great for rocky terrain as they offer good open cleats with sticky rubber combined with a mid cushioning. for more info check http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Terra...20&PG=PG1&L=26 there is a guide to tell you the ideal shoe for which terrain
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

A pair of roads shoes should be fine. I wore rocklites last tme I did it and wished I had used my road shoes as in previous years.

It will be road shoes for me this year probably Nike Air Pegasus.

I wore Saucony Azura a lightweight road shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    not mudclaws thats for sure and once again Crosslites are made for this type of terrain but are very pricey
    I wore standard Walsh's last year, found them fine, and my wife were her mudclaw 270's. I think there is enough grass to justify a fell shoe.

I didn't have one blister.

People where everything from road to pure fell shoes, if it's wet I'd go fell shoe for sure.

This year I'm torn between Mizuno wave harriers and walsh's.