Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambleside Sports

Thumbs up Re: Ambleside Sports

AG and I will be there for the BOFRA race.

Fellhound

Re: Ambleside Sports

I seem to remember that the Rydal round goes up the main zig zag path (as mentioned above) whereas the Fairfield doesn't. I don't remember a CP on Fairfield - I think we just skirted round the head of the valley. After crossing the rocky top of Hart Crag you cross the wall and make almost a beeline for Low Pike (Fairfield goes to Dove Crag so stays on the LH side of the wall).

Plus you come straight down the descent and into the finish field so don't have that horrific run up the gravel track at the end that does so much to ruin Fairfield!

All in all it's quite a bit shorter and, to my mind, a much better race.

Yesterday I walked the route as a recce for the race day. Not having done it (or the FH) before I stand to be corrected on some points but here goes.

Leaving the sports field you run toward the track at the rear and turn left toward Rydal. Through Rydal Hall it would be easy to take a wrong route but so early on it should be just follow the leader. As said above the RR takes the very steep walkers zigzag path up Nab Scar. This is definitley correct as the PA commentator often mentions that you can see the runners from the field.
    Running North along the ridge the going is quite good, stoney and generally not steep.
    If indeed there is not a checkpoint on Fairfield you certainly want to bear East early, you easily pick up the main path again.
    Some big rocks to climb down over as you get toward Hart Crag then once you reach the wall you cant really go wrong.
    As i was using the Fairfield race map I followed the path all the way off the fell but I looked over the wall to my right and realised I was probably very near the turnaround point for the guides race. I suspect (as mentioned above) that the RR may turn sharp right through/over the wall and take the same very steep route back into sportsfield.

Til the 26th then......
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Sounds about how I remember it, even with the fog. CU up there.

Quote Originally Posted by bestathlete View Post
    I suspect (as mentioned above) that the RR may turn sharp right through/over the wall and take the same very steep route back into sportsfield.
    The Rydal Round - Woe betide anyone who gets the very end of the race wrong. I would not advise jumping over any walls. Finish line disqualifications await. And don't expect any sympathy off this forum. I'll be doing the BOFRA race this year.
    Last edited by Pike; 14-07-2007 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    The Rydal Round - Woe betide anyone who gets the very end of the race wrong. I would not advise jumping over any walls. Finish line disqualifications await. And don't expect any sympathy off this forum. I'll be doing the BOFRA race this year.

I shall be taking the route the organiser tells us to, I was simply wondering about the specifics of the final few hundred yards into the field.
    Event Photography

This is from another thread

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    I was asking about the checkpoints the other week, well I found a programme from a previous year. They are...

Nab Scar, Fairfield and Low Pike.

Hope to see you there.
    So no skirting around short of Faifield summit.
    Event Photography

Naive question here. Ambleside sports will be my first BOFRA race. What with recent posts about a few pernickity race officials can I just check that there won't be any problems wearing an FRA affiliated club vest?!

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

I have never heard of any problems with FRA members running in BOFRA races and vica versa, certainly not at Ambleside Sports, where you are quite welcome to run in both races, as the guides race starts well after most people have finished Rydal Round.

Bofra races are open to everyone. Just need to be a Bofra member to count in the Bofra championships.