Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Best Books

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Tenuous connection to fell running, but it is Cumbrian related and anyway I couldn't find another general book thread in the search bar..

Just been reading...Quartered Safe Out Here: A Recollection of the War in Burma

This is a military memoir of World War II by George MacDonald Fraser, the author of The Flashman Papers series of novels, and this book was first published in 1993.

I found it full of fascinating, uplifting, humorous and thoughtful recollections of a private soldier, then aged 19 years old from Carlisle, in the Border Regiment of the 14th Army (the forgotten army).

Here's a taste, as it won't suit everybody, particularly those of 21 Century sensibilities. But, if you love Cumbrian humour and griping jests, it's one not to miss. I'd post some trigger warnings, for the overly sensitive, but that would be to employ an audacious pun. Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway, I can't imagine it being included on the BBC's R4's A Good Read.

"Then suddenly we were through, and the shelling stopped as abruptly as it had begun. Hutton had been right: the closer we got, the better. Only a few hundred yards of broken ground separated us from the line of ruined buildings beyond which the gradual slope began, and the Japanese guns, on the reverse slope, must already be at maximum depression—in other words, they couldn't shoot low enough to hit us. Then there was small arms firing to the right, and we were ordered to take up firing positions in a cluster of low hillocks; I believe, but am not certain, that the right-hand company had hit bunkers, and our advance checked while they were cleared. Anyway, we were halted long enough for an incident which I blush to record, because it was too damned silly for words, but since I am writing a faithful record I can't very well omit it.
    We were lying among the hillocks, watching our front and listening to the firing on the flank and the occasional whit! of a shot overhead, cursing the blazing heat and lamenting that we had no chaggles with us, when Grandarse asked Wattie for a drink from his bottle, a request answered in that comradely spirit for which Nine Section was celebrated.
    “W'at's wrang wi' thi own fookin' bottle?”
    “It's roond back on us, ye gormless Egremont twat!
    It's lyin' atop me bloody arse, that's w'at's wrang wid it!” “Well, oonfasten the bloody thing!”
    “Look, bollock-brain, if Ah oondoo the bloody straps Ah'll nivver git them doon oop again!” Grandarse, being portly, might well have had difficulty re-threading the two straps from which his bottle hung below the
    small of his back. “Ye want us runnin' at bloody Japs wid me bundook* in one hand an' me bottle in t'other?”
    “Awreet—Ah'll oondoo it for thee mesel'. Then we'll baith git a drink— oot o' thy bottle!”
    “Ye miserable sod, w'at difference does it mek w'ee's bottle we soop frae?”
    “That's w'at Ah'm sayin'! W'at fer should we use my bottle ’stead o' thine? Y'are always on the scroonge, you! Guzzlin' big-bellied git!”
    “Reet!” roared Grandarse. “Stick yer effin' bottle oop yer goonga, an' Ah hope it gi'es thee piles!”
    “Ah, give ower, ye bloody bairns!” snapped Forster. “There's a fookin' well ower theer, wid watter in't. Use that, an' stop natterin', an' keep thi bottle till efter.”
    This sounded sensible, since water was liable to be precious by the end of the day, and the well was in plain view just outside our position, a circular mud wall enclosing the well-head. Grandarse, however, was hygiene conscious.
    “It'll be full o' shit, like that ’un we used last week, an' foond there wez twa deid Japs in't. Bloated tae boogery, they were.”
    “Weel, ye took no ’arm!” said Forster. “The purification pills does the trick. Ye've got toons o' the bloody things!”
    If you must make a pun then the more audacious the better.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by felltrumpet View Post
    Yesterday, my children came back from the library with ‘Wild Fell’ by Lee Schofield.
    He is an ecologist and RSPB manager for Haweswater and their 2 farms there.
    I’ve just finished the first third in which he starkly sets out the lack of biodiversity and flowers, in particular, in the Lakes.
    Very well written and balanced, so far.
    A lot more likeable than the ‘posh’ Rewilding tome based around Knepp and George Monbiot’s contributions.
    Thanks. Mrs Noel got this for Christmas - I'm looking forward to reading it.

I'm working my way through the classics currently (and a few non-classics), as a distraction before hopefully returning to running at some point in the spring.

Catcher in the rye. I didn't enjoy this at all. I was genuinely surprised anyone would enjoy this and felt compelled to search the internet for "why do people like this book". Apparently it was a a book for its time - post-war USA. Zeitgeist perhaps. I don't recommend it.

Fahrenheit 451. Pretty good - definitely more of a morality tale than a story.

Fight club. Good but one of those books that is very well represented by the film, which I've seen.

And finally Thursday murder club. Pretty good. Easy reading and well written. I don't feel the need to read the next one.

1984 next...

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Thanks. Mrs Noel got this for Christmas - I'm looking forward to reading it.

I'm working my way through the classics currently (and a few non-classics), as a distraction before hopefully returning to running at some point in the spring.

Catcher in the rye. I didn't enjoy this at all. I was genuinely surprised anyone would enjoy this and felt compelled to search the internet for "why do people like this book". Apparently it was a a book for its time - post-war USA. Zeitgeist perhaps. I don't recommend it.
    I read this a few years ago, and thought it was absolute ****; I just couldn't find anything positive to say about it, I don't know how it got published.

It's refreshing to read that someone else thought the same, although I half expect Graham to say that it is indeed a classic, and I'm just too thick to appreciate it (although in much more diplomatic terms than this of course).

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Fahrenheit 451. Pretty good - definitely more of a morality tale than a story.
    This was one of our set books when I was 15 and doing 'O' level English literature (which I subsequently failed, along with half of the class). I thought it was pretty good too, although I can't remember much of a morality tale so it probably went straight over my head. Perhaps I am too thick to read the classics after all.

I've thought about 1984 too, but I think I'll wait a year for the 40th anniversary edition

Master
    Fahrenheit 451 - I must have read this, but I cannot recall it. I am a big fan of Ray Bradbury - his Martian Chronicles is amongst my favourite bits of literature.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Fahrenheit 451 - I must have read this, but I cannot recall it. I am a big fan of Ray Bradbury - his Martian Chronicles is amongst my favourite bits of literature.
    Mmmh. Francois Truffaut filmed (ie directed) this in 1966 in England. It is generally regarded as a misfire of "wooden" performances, despite including stars such as Julie Christie, possibly because FT could not speak English very well. So why go to England to direct a film you may well ask?

The cinematographer was Nicolas Roeg. A brilliant cameraman who filmed much good work eg Far From The Madding Crowd (John Schlesinger) and was the initial cameraman on Lawrence of Arabia until he fell out with director David Lean (not that you would know this from the film credits which only recognise Freddie Young).

But the good news was that Roeg went on to become a visionary British film director. He directed and photographed Walkabout and directed many films, all of which are interesting, such as The Man Who Fell To Earth and my personal favourite, the sublime Don't Look Now which is now regarded as one of the great British films.

And incidentally included Julie Christie.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 30-12-2022 at 09:49 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    This was one of our set books when I was 15 and doing 'O' level English literature (which I subsequently failed, along with half of the class). I thought it was pretty good too, although I can't remember much of a morality tale so it probably went straight over my head. Perhaps I am too thick to read the classics after all.

I've thought about 1984 too, but I think I'll wait a year for the 40th anniversary edition
    I remember when I was about 13, we were given Orwell's Animal Farm to read at school. I thought it was a great story, but it never occurred to me that it had anything to do with politics.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I remember when I was about 13, we were given Orwell's Animal Farm to read at school. I thought it was a great story, but it never occurred to me that it had anything to do with politics.
    But isn't that the problem with education - it is wasted on the young?