Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Books

Re: Best Books

Quote Originally Posted by smoggy View Post
    I'm reading 1977 at the moment, recaptures the era well, but horribly brutal in places.

Mountains of the Mind is a classic, how can such a young writer articulate such profound views about the hills?
    Has anyone read 'Joss Naylor MBE Was Here?' It's fiendishly hard to get hold of. Is it any good?

Keep the recommendations coming

Smoggy
    Yep and its a nice little read -not that hard to get hold of I bought mine from here http://www.rathbonesofkeswick.co.uk/...e-was-here/58/

I like 'I bought a Mountain' by Thomas Firbank

and

As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me by J.M. Bauer

and

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Lola

Rob,

I've read As Far As My feet... several times over the years and it never ceases to amaze but, do you believe it is true? It appears beyond human capability, OK he had been specifically trained for the environment but he would have been so weak when he set off that its hard to credit....

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Yep and its a nice little read -not that hard to get hold of I bought mine from here http://www.rathbonesofkeswick.co.uk/...e-was-here/58/
    Cheers Shaun

I'll check out the ebsite.

Smoggy

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Rob,

I've read As Far As My feet... several times over the years and it never ceases to amaze but, do you believe it is true? It appears beyond human capability, OK he had been specifically trained for the environment but he would have been so weak when he set off that its hard to credit....
    Saw this as a film at a little art house cinema in New Zealand - the cinema was FULL! That is, all 7 seats were taken. It was a very small cinema and a brilliant book to read...
    Why walk when you can run.

Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Rob,

I read this at least 30 years ago - my late father received a copy from the book club that he was a member of. Remember that the guy was fuelled by the realisation that he was slowly being poisoned by the environment that he was working in - slave labour in a lead mine. With such a powerful incentive, physically weak people can achieve amazing feats. Once he had escaped and contacted 'friendlies' he would have been nutured back to an improved physical condition. I relished reading about the various groups and communities that he sojourned with in the 10 or so years that it took him to get out of USSR.
    My other inspiring reads would include:-
    From my childhood:-
    Lorna Doone - it made me want to get out and explore the moors and search for hidden valleys
    Davey Crockett and the Alamo.
    Latterly:-
    Studmarks on the Summits - Bill Smith
    Wild trails to Far Horizons - Mike Cudahey, inspired me to do a Scottish C2C for my 50th.
    Running High - Hugh Symmonds. Surely matches, if not surpasses, Manny Gorman's Corbett Round.
    Feet in the Clouds - Richard Asquith. Very inspiring, but might have been a 'mistake' in the way that it has over popularised the BG with people who are not yet up to the task, or have little respect for the ethos of true hill-goers or the local residents.
    Along the Clipper Way - Francis Chichester. Not an account of his voyage but a catalogue of incidents along his intended route, that he researched prior to the voyage.
    An Island to Oneself - can't remember the author's name, a Kiwi who went and lived on a Pacific Ocean atoll for around 10 years in the 50's & 60's
    Granted not a 'book' but back in the 80's some of the Fell Runner Magazine articles by Ian Leighton & Robin Price, on their multi-day exploits in Scotland - e.g. Four and a half day C2C ( Ardnamurchan Point to Montrose) over 42 Munroes, starting with packs that weighed just 8 lbs!
    For p*** taking humour:-
    The Ascent of Rum Doodle - a cynical view of traditional 'expedition' climbing.
    Must go now, I'm suffering from "Work Desk Lassitude"!
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 30-06-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Lola

Wheezing D,

Small world, I first read it as a library book and was so taken that I tried to buy a copy and all I could get was a 'book club edition', pale blue cover now overwrapped in a plastic shroud to keep the pages in!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    I
    Forgot about that - its a great read and was out of print for ages - I managed to get mine in Kathmandu (ooohhh what a name dropper!!)

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Hmm, we've been here before...

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showp...8&postcount=44

Strange how we all begin to think alike in the end. And scary!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk