Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bikes on b****y trains

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Bikes on b****y trains

Nightmare day yesterday. Decided to take bike to London from Keighley instead of using tube, booked online and had to pay 2.50 per reservation for bike each way which was nearly the tube cost anyway. Return train booked to get me back in time for the club duathlon

Went to catch the local train to Leeds yesterday to find it cancelled, next train was a different company and they would not let me on without a reservation, got the next train to Leeds and then onto to London. Cycled 1.5 miles to office, locked bike up and took front wheel into meeting, afterwards found both tyres flat! Repaired 1, didn't have my pump and found the thread had gone on my 2nd co2 cylinder. Ran free/wheeled to nearest bike shop and bought new inner tube.

Went to get on train, guard asked for reservation, showed him my ticket to find the machine had printed out 2 reservations for the morning train, so he would not let me on, I pointed out that the website would not let me book more than 1 bike per journey and as I had 2 reservations it was their error. I also had a seat reservation for that train. Was told I had to get a new reservation for free from the ticket office, when I explained this would mean that I would miss the train I got a shoulder shrug. Ran to get ticket, sandwich I had brought for lunch fell out of rucksack and spread across the concourse. Queued for free ticket and missed train all for a ****in' jobsworth!!!!!
    Next train arrived 10 mins late, got to Keighley at 6.30, cycled home through bike and kit in car and got to duathlon at 7.00 just before start.

I thought they were encouraging us to use bikes and keep fit.

Re: Bikes on b****y trains

Hectic day!!
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Its a real hit and miss affair with bikes on trains. Not had too many problems with the bike on the Settle-Carlisle line and you dont have to pay for the reservation either.

So much simpler though in Southern Ireland where the trains still have guards vans, just shove the bike in there and collect it at the end of the journey.

I'm going to Skye later in the year, so its train from Leeds to Edinburgh,change for Inverness then on to Kyle of Lochalsh.Would love to take the bike but its not worth the hassle,I'll just hire one when I get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    I thought they were encouraging us to use bikes and keep fit.
    It sounds like you were certainly keeping fit on that day

But seriously, this shows the lack of a joined-up transport policy. I'm sure some train companies are great with bikes. But until it's a national standard, you're better off driving places.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    It sounds like you were certainly keeping fit on that day

But seriously, this shows the lack of a joined-up transport policy. I'm sure some train companies are great with bikes. But until it's a national standard, you're better off driving places.
    Agreed, have travelled from Leicester to London several times and the train company there have a "book if you can but if there's room you can put it on" policy which makes life much easier.

undercover moderator

I once took my bike to London on the train to avoid tubes etc.

When I got back to Paddington, I thought I'd have a little wander round, so looked for a place to lock my bike up.

There was a sign there saying "warning, bike thieves in the area, make sure you lock your bike". So, I locked my bike to the sign.

When I got back, The Authorities had "clamped" the bike by putting another lock through it, because they thought it might blow up or something. I had to get a surly bloke to unlock it, neatly timed to miss my train.

I was a bit tourettesy that day.

All sounds a bit of a minefield - think I'd rather cycle there and back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    All sounds a bit of a minefield - think I'd rather cycle there and back.
    Think I will next time, mind you once cycled from midlands along canal towpath to london and got over 10 punctures

I wondered why you had your helmet on in the car when you arrived

All that didn't slow you down much did it? You were still quickest on your bike anyway!

What ten and three quarters

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    Think I will next time, mind you once cycled from midlands along canal towpath to london and got over 10 punctures