Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heat effected your training?

Re: Heat effected your trainin

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Last night was only a warm-up for the Haul!!
    Fine.
    Last edited by millipede; 03-07-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: propriety

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Well by the sounds of things Preston wasnt the only place to have rain non-stop all day.
    It hammered it down for most of the morning over here in the east mids, at one point it was nearly as dark as night. It was still showery in the afternoon and I was begining to wonder if I'd be running in the rain tonight for the first time in a while, but no, about 4 o'clock the sun came out and normal service was resumed.
    Do what you like, like what you do

I have found running hard going this week not sure if its the heat or lack of sleep with the little ones. But it poured down whilst out running this morning I found a marked improvement performance wise compared to the rest of the week?

The weather has picked up again this afternoon and I have done a shorter run tonight faster than I have run for a week or two. May be its just me?

Some people are simply able to deal with heat/humidity a lot better than others but there are really three main determining factors.

1) Acclimitisation: The more you're exposed to the heat the better your body will become at dealing with it. For example I raced in Malaysia last year and, when I first arrived I could barely walk down the street, but, one week later, I was able to race ok.

2) Body size: Little racing snake types will always cope better with heat. The bigger you are the more you'll suffer.

3) Hydration/Electrolyte levels: One thing I've noticed amongst fell runners is a slight aversion to carrying and drinking enough fluids. Sweating is your body's cooling mechanism and, if you don't fuel it, it won't work. Working hard in hot conditions may call for one litre per hour. If you're feeling thirsty, it's too late and your performance will already be significantly reduced. Don't forget to replace the salts as well.

I don't like the heat either and always feel tired and irritable when its really hot.

For some reason it doesn't seem to affect my running that much. Did a 38 mile event last Sat when it was very hot and it didn't seem to slow me down that much. Forgot my bloddy hat though but luckily borrowed one from somebody on the 2nd checkpoint.

I get paranoid about keeping well hydrated, I drink loads of water through the day and get really thirsty even when just sitting around. I must have got through about 8 litres of water that day along with quite a few Endurolyte electrolyte tablets. I think good hydration is the key to it.

the heat wasn't too bad for me, seemed to cope with it ok, drank a bit more( ale) a lot more water 2 1/2 litres per day, running a bit slower on monday but the heyfever is the worst for me, i mean why do the have to try and mate with me nose!
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

Love the heat and much prefer to train/race in the heat than in the cold....
    Acclimatisation, keep covered (protection from sun) and hydrate well is the key for me.....
    Consider yourself lightly; consider the world deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    Some people are simply able to deal with heat/humidity a lot better than others but there are really three main determining factors.

1) Acclimitisation: The more you're exposed to the heat the better your body will become at dealing with it. For example I raced in Malaysia last year and, when I first arrived I could barely walk down the street, but, one week later, I was able to race ok.

2) Body size: Little racing snake types will always cope better with heat. The bigger you are the more you'll suffer.

3) Hydration/Electrolyte levels: One thing I've noticed amongst fell runners is a slight aversion to carrying and drinking enough fluids. Sweating is your body's cooling mechanism and, if you don't fuel it, it won't work. Working hard in hot conditions may call for one litre per hour. If you're feeling thirsty, it's too late and your performance will already be significantly reduced. Don't forget to replace the salts as well.

good points, problem is now it will prob cool down..
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

I think if you're consistent as the season develops and gets warmer you adapt. Certainly been OK for me. Only really noticed in that a) I'm darker and b) I need more electrolytes to make me feel normal again.

Well I struggled big time this morning. On what's fast becoming my default run this year, I ran a 15 and a bit miler out of Ingleton up Whernside, across to Ingleborough and back down. Normally one bottle of water will do me for this but, by the time I was half way up Ingleborough, I'd all but drank it and was becoming very thirsty. My plan was to top up on water from the small stream at the top of the steep climb up the wall of Ingleborough but, despite the rain yesterday, there was bugger all to drink and I was scuppered. The run down into Ingleborough felt very lethargic and I pretty much stopped sweating despite the heat so my fluid levels were obviously shot.

Mind you I don't agree with nikalas with his one litre an hour - I'd have had to have hauled three frigging litres round with me for that, in itself probably adding 20 miutes to the run and the need for a further 1/3rd of a litre, which would have added another 5 minutes to the run, and the need for a tad more water..... etc etc

My time was 2.54 a massive 8 minutes longer than last time so I'm obviously blaming the heat and lack of water rather than my lack of talent or effort
    Last edited by Stolly; 04-07-2009 at 03:35 PM.