Thread: One tight calf?

One tight calf?

I've noticed this problem since I started road running a few months ago, but now I'm also doing a little on the fells it has got much more noticeable.

It seems one of my calf muscles is very tight (the right one) - if I do a standard calf stretch (foot flat, knee bent a little, pushing against a wall), my left leg flexes about twice as far forward as the right. Initially I thought it was something to do with my ankles (one being less flexible than the other) but now I think it must be my calf muscle.

As a consequence, practically every time I run, I end up with one sore calf, although I've only properly strained it the once. I also notice that when I'm ascending, my left leg/ankle is quite 'springy', whereas my right leg/ankle is more solid (not as much stretch in the calf muscle?).

Can't say when this first started, as I've only noticed it when I started running. Could it be a result of having bad sciatica in my right leg a few years ago, and not stretching enough while recovering?

Anything I can do about this? - aside from stretching lots, which I do already, and it hasn't made any real difference (I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be 'go see a physio'). Anyone been to an NHS physio for running type things? Is that a bit cheeky seeing that it's basically recreational? I'm pretty sure my G.P. is a runner (years ago he advised me to start running when I had back problems.... 'it'll increase your pain threshold' he said), so he may be happier than most to refer me.

Re: One tight calf?

I get a similar problem. The original problem arose a few years ago during a race. I try to manage it with massage, usually self massage, hot and cold treatments, easing it out on steady runs with plenty of stretching and generally trying to build the strength in the calf in such a way as to be able to race, intervals for example. I also pay a lot of attention to warm up and cool down. I notice the problem is worse if I neglect the cool down after a race.

Super Moderator

Skids, your calf is made up of two separate muscles: the gastrocnemius (the chunky bit below the knee) and the soleus (lower down above the achilles). When you stretch with your knee bent you're only really stretching the soleus. Try standing on a step and lowering your heel with your weight on a straight leg (it seems to help if you stick your bottom out a bit). This seems to be helping me and I've had calf problems for ages. If you google 'calf stretches' there are other specific stretches which target one or the other of the two different muscles. Good luck
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Thanks - yep, I already do those heel drop ones as well, after each run and sometimes during the day (although I'm aware that I shouldn't be stretching them too much cold). I'm also quite careful about warming up and down, with at least 5 mins walk or very slow jog before and after.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I may need some really deep and painful massage from someone who knows what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skids View Post
    Thanks - yep, I already do those heel drop ones as well, after each run and sometimes during the day (although I'm aware that I shouldn't be stretching them too much cold). I'm also quite careful about warming up and down, with at least 5 mins walk or very slow jog before and after.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I may need some really deep and painful massage from someone who knows what they're doing.
    Thats what i was going to suggest. Maybe even acupuncture?

I dont know if its of any relivance, but with my knee problems the physio said the sorce of it comes from my crap biomechanics and movement - this maybe be the same with yourself and may be causing it....but im not a physio.