Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellrunner Mag

Re: Fellrunner Mag

Quote Originally Posted by alphandomega View Post
    So save the world from global warming- but not if it spoils my view?
    Its not 'my' view, (in fact it isn't the view from my house even - I wouldn't really mind one near my house, preferable to pylons or a busy road I suppose - thats why I would happily support small scale schemes for local consumption) but I believe the landscape there has an intrinsic value that far outweighs any alleged benefit from a windfarm in that area. There is so much conflicting opinion about global warming that I am not sure what to believe, but I do believe that there probably are better ways of saving energy than large windfarms which seem to cost more to build and set up (including carbon costs) than they save. I appreciate that the Lakes is already an industrial landscape (and its not just quarries - even walls are 'industry') but for me 'cheap' power is too expensive if defacing the landscape further is the true cost.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Interesting small section about wind turbines written presumably by Chris k in which he wished the FRA to take an opinion against them. Even if the total carbon footprint of installing them taking into account manufacture, fitting and maintenance makes them not really viable, i don't think the research and development benefits from using them should be ignored. Regardless of whether global warming is down to a natural climate shift or otherwise i think we should be more open to the idea that forms of alternative power generation should be tested and developed thoroughly, and that can only really be achieved in the field.
    I think you'll find that I am not wishing the FRA or anyone to take an opinion against them or for them. The questions to ask that I've put forward are just what I've said to various individuals who have asked the FRA to back respective objections. Unless there is a definate loss of access for a particular FRA event, we have no opinion, however personally I do find it strange that there appears to be no definate cost of any particular large scale windmill, hence my comments!
    Right, thats at least two people have read my article, and I've upset them both!
    A circular route mostly downhill

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    They were not even asked where to put the wind turbines ....
    Yiannis
    Fair point and I agree we should do something pretty drastic if it will help the situation. Your picture paints a thousand words but on this particular issue I'm not yet convinced that windfarms are likely to help -at the moment they seem to allow HMG to tick some environmental boxes and make money for various developers etc, subsidised by our taxes, but I find it hard to accept that they are making or are likely to make a significant difference to energy consumption or global warming. I realise that not everyone will share this view but I would rather give up my car or my central heating than see Blencathra defaced. If we were serious about saving energy we could reintroduce the blanket 50mph speed limits as per the fuel shortages of the 1970s - but we wont do that because selling petrol raises taxes. Or perhaps we could do something really sensible and just make it cheaper to travel by bus than it is by car? Anyway, I think I'm in danger of hijacking this thread and perhaps the issue for this particular one is whether or not the FRA should take a view - I suggest not as our members are likely to have differing views and uunless the issue directly affects our activities we (the FRA) should probably stick to running.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    I think you'll find that I am not wishing the FRA or anyone to take an opinion against them or for them. The questions to ask that I've put forward are just what I've said to various individuals who have asked the FRA to back respective objections. Unless there is a definate loss of access for a particular FRA event, we have no opinion, however personally I do find it strange that there appears to be no definate cost of any particular large scale windmill, hence my comments!
    Right, thats at least two people have read my article, and I've upset them both!
    No harm in creating an animated discussion on such an important issue as global warming.

I read last weekend that owning a pet, a dog for example, has the same carbon footprint as driving a toyota land muncher 6000 miles a year. A cat is the equivalent of driving a VW Golf, but a goldfish is almost footprint free. It's to do with the amount of energy required to grow their food etc.

That makes you think.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    I read last weekend that owning a pet, a dog for example, has the same carbon footprint as driving a toyota land muncher 6000 miles a year. A cat is the equivalent of driving a VW Golf, but a goldfish is almost footprint free. It's to do with the amount of energy required to grow their food etc.

That makes you think.
    FEW, we have 2 Goldfish that must help with the 2 cars we run

Problem is that you can't take the goldfish out for a run...

(or can you http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=9199)

fb
    The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak...

Tony Vardy

I think you need to bring these Goldfish up in discussion after the AGM next weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    What makes you think you've upset me? even if you had why would it matter? I'll re-read the article tommorrow as the mag's at work but the impression i got was that you were requesting a stance, but either way your opinion on the matter would not provoke feelings of anger or displeasure from myself.

I would never seek to use this forum as a platform to attack other members over their opinions on a subject unless they did so to me, which i have had done to me and i await my cue to treat them with the same level of disrespect they treated me with.

The good news is that that isn't you Chris and i feel i must apologise if my post offended you in any way, and to offer my support to your continued efforts to fight runners' corners' over access rights.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 01-11-2009 at 10:46 PM.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

No offence taken, I'm just glad at least two people have read the article and it stimulated some response, usually nothing is ever mentioned!